iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

648B questions

Started by longtime lurker, May 06, 2015, 05:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

I did an in-house search and can't find much mention of them.

Now, I'll admit it, i'm not a great fan of Deere which is not so much anything against Deere but more that I like my Clarks. I know from what y'all say that parts are well (bad pun)... deere, but I've never had a lot to do with them.
Then I hear of a machine not too far away for sale, and from the sounds of it it's well worth a look. Reasonable hours, 1 owner, good rubber and priced reasonably: ie not cheap, but not more then I think a 30 year old machine in fair order should be worth. And right about when I have a job that needs a bigger skidder with a grapple too.

Soooooooo... lets hear it.
Where do I look for problems on a 648B? Every make and model of machine always has a weak link somewhere, or some little thing that looks like a simple fix and turns into a nightmare.
All help appreciated guys.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

treeslayer2003

i never had one but would not a B model be a 640 and not a 648?

Decked

I never saw a letter behind a 648, until the D series , but, I live a sheltered life..

Logger003

I would say if everything seems tight and has decent rubber it would be a good addition to any fleet. In my part of the country JD is probably the most popular machine in the bush.

longtime lurker

My fault... all I can blame is lack of morning coffee when I wrote it.

it's a 648D.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Decked

All I can say is that the "D" series was JD's best...

tj240

just like any deere, check the front ocilation and the center pins of course. make sure it goes through all gears, as the trannys are real spendy. the grapple will show wear but check ALL the pins and make sure the accumulator for the grapple works. good luck they are a good machine
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!