iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tally Sheet and invoice

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 18, 2017, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Oh we are OK, and I had no intention of diminishing the validity of this topic.  Spreadsheet are good and I personally use an Excel spreadsheet with cell formulas when I do my quarterly report for my CPA.  I just do not use one for each saw job because the handwritten invoice serves me well.

I have an app on my phone that will calculate the job but I do not use it because the customer can't see what is input and they may feel that everything is not being disclosed.  It is OK, but not my choice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Thanks Lynn. I sure don't need ill will in Mississippi. :)

I think some clarification may even be in order. As I see the process there are several steps here.

1. Tally - done at the end of the job. Just recording the size and number of boards or stacks of lumber. This can be done on a board scrap, notebook, lined tablet or input directly into a spreadsheet on a laptop or smart phone at the site.

2. Computations - the multiplication and division to determine from the tally how many board feet were cut or are being sold. May be done at the site or back at the office manually, with a handheld calculator, or input into an automated device with formulas entered or already in place.

3. Pricing - multiplying the bf of the lumber sawed or sold by the rate for sawing or lumber prices. May be done at the site or back at the office manually, with a handheld calculator, or input into an automated device with formulas entered or already in place.

4. Invoicing - transferring the tally info, bf computations and prices for the sawing or sale and providing a copy/original to the customer with the expectation of payment. A copy of the invoice may be signed to use as a receipt.

Some of us do this whole process manually with handwritten records every step of the way. Some do part manually then enter into spreadsheets to record and/or do the math. Some choose to enter the raw data in the field on to an app or laptop and let the device compute the bf totals and calculate pricing. There is nothing wrong with a completely or partially manual system as long as it works for you and is satisfactory to the customer.

The spreadsheets I offer let you input directly in the field with a laptop, if you so choose, or back at the office from handwritten field notes. Once input you can use them just as a tally sheet or use one as an invoice if you don't have another preferred form and format.

I am not advocating anyone use them - since I already had them I was just offering if is convenient and useful in your application. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!