iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031 AV

Started by Mesquite cutter, June 10, 2020, 12:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

I acquired a Stihl 031 AV chainsaw.  I installed a new carburetor, fuel filter and fuel lines and got it running.  

The only problem now is that is has no power.  Meaning the log itself will stop the chain.  It smokes a lot.  It revs up just fine but the engine has no torq.  Looks like the cylinders are worn and are lacking compression by the way it is smoking.  I don't know if I should try to find a engine and install the carburetor on it of just move on.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Tacotodd

Compression test. Pull muffler and look for signs of scoring on piston and/or cylinder. Not necessarily in that order. Remember; always do the easiest and least expensive things FIRST. 
Trying harder everyday.

Michael

Put new fresh 32;1 mix in there and get rid of that old smokey junk
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

Tacotodd

Depending upon the ratio of the last mix but my last comment with pulling the muffler is less expensive. Either way, though, I would pull the muffler and examine first.
Trying harder everyday.

ZeroJunk

Those saws have several ignition systems.  Not uncommon to swear that it is a carb issue and it is not.
Might be good to do an internet search on 031 ignition issues and see which one you have. Depending on which you have it is may be no simple solution . Nova units will work but depending on the flywheel you may have to move it forward or back. If it is a bad condenser Stihl no longer makes one and I have not found a condenser that will fit.

Mesquite cutter

The saw does not die.  It keeps running when I try to cut through the log.   The log just stops the chain even at full throttle and it smokes like a wildfire.  I am gonna try to do a compression test and see what my compression is.   How much compression am I suppose to have, do any of you have an idea?  If the compression is low, can this be fixed by adding sleeves or should I just give it up?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Tacotodd

Anywhere from 200 (REALLY high). 170 (high). 150 (normal/new). 125 (normal minimum). 110 ( hope and cross fingers that it will start and run) ga'luck
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Is it pouring bar oil into the clutch?  

Its a pretty slow old saw to behin with.  I hotrodded one extensively as a gift for my dad and its still not much to talk about.  Pulls half the rpm of a modern unit. 
Praise The Lord

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on June 14, 2020, 11:45:07 PM
The saw does not die.  It keeps running when I try to cut through the log.   The log just stops the chain even at full throttle and it smokes like a wildfire.  I am gonna try to do a compression test and see what my compression is.   How much compression am I suppose to have, do any of you have an idea?  If the compression is low, can this be fixed by adding sleeves or should I just give it up?
I'm not talking about an ignition problem where the saw cuts off or has no fire, but  bad condenser so the fire is not hot enough or timed correctly.
Of course check your compression if you have a tester that will read a small displacement correctly.  If the saw will sit and idle forever then it has enough compression to cut. Conversely if you can't make it sit and idle and there are no carb problems then it may be low compression.

Thank You Sponsors!