iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massachusetts skidder operating question

Started by jdjr87, September 10, 2014, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdjr87

Hope this is the right spot, if not apologies. I have googled, searched osha, and mass.gov, cannot find any information.

Question is, in the state of Massachusetts do you need any sort of special certification or license to operate a skidder?
&
If so, can I operate under his licenses? I know for certain things you can.

He's been a logger/company owner for 33 years, has workmans comp/insurance, all that, and has licenses for NY, CT, MA. He is in a bind and needs an operator ASAP.

Thanks,
James

OldMasterTech

See 520 CMR 6.01.

Google "MA hoisting regulations" to find your answers.

A quick glance indicates you need that license but I did not read far enough to see if there is a farm or forestry exemption.

Be prepared for lots of reading!
All gave some ** Some gave all
Never forget

Woodboogah

Possibly hydraulics license.  MA seems to be a pain with their regulations.  Good luck.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Dave Shepard

No licenses for AG use that I know of. In order to qualify for a hoisting license a machine has to lift more than 500#, over ten feet, or more than 1/4 cubic yard. I've never heard of anyone being bothered in the woods by DPS. Digging a gas line on main street? You'd better have your HE license and DOT card in order. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jdjr87

Thanks for the reply's and direction. Yeah this is strictly in woods. Him and his partner are swamped with clients. They want to drop trees and have me move them.

lynde37avery

No license. Not that I know of. I get told where the wood is and get it on the ground and out. Farmers don't need sophisticated licenses to run there tractors.  Now a timber harvest license you need that for an independant. I got that one.
Detroit WHAT?

timberlinetree

If you call dcr they will know. I think as long as someone on the job has a license then you are covered but not sure?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!