iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post oak; Quercus stellata

Started by DanL, May 15, 2023, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanL

Good morning folks.

I performed a search on post oak sawing and the resultant lumber. I turned up hundreds of posts on "posts", 'Oaks", Posts about posts, Post about oaks and even a few posts about post oaks and their lumber.  

Among my standing log inventory (my little forest), I have many posts oaks that are as old or older than I (63) with varying diameters and heights.

Before I cut one down just to find out the good or bad qualities of post oak (other than firewood), I am hoping there are some experienced folks on this board that can inform me as to whether or not it is worth sawing into lumber. I am in need of several 4"x6"x14' Ceiling Joists for a project and thought the straightness and very low taper of the post oaks might work for what I need.

My dad told me stories of my grandfather using the post oak heartwood for fence posts circa 1911. Some of the posts are still present in the fence but the in-ground parts have rotted. However, I do not wish to use them as fence posts.

Please educate me.

Respectfully,
Dan
From God's Farm in Alabama
"God bless America" and "Alba gu brath"

Southside

I didn't get a chance to measure anything but Saturday I was at a facility that built a pavilion and I noticed that all of the rafters were made from Post Oak logs.  They were basically sawn on two sides and really in most cases a 1/4 log.  I was surprised at how straight they remained and these were in the 20' length.  Diameter was probably 16"-20" when it was a log.  It looked great and with 2x4 purlins on the top the roof was dead flat straight.  

Friday had you asked me if that would work I would have said no.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Patrick NC

I've cut a good bit of post oak for trailer decking. From what I understand it's as good as any other white oak except for staves. They say it gives the whiskey a funny taste.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ben Cut-wright

Live edge, book-matched, Post Oak. 

Andries

Ben, that's beautiful! 
Book matched like that would make a great table or desktop. 
The trick might be to keep track of them as a pair, as they're drying for a year - or thats been my problem.
candle_smiley
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

KenMac

Quote from: Patrick NC on May 15, 2023, 12:06:15 PM
I've cut a good bit of post oak for trailer decking. From what I understand it's as good as any other white oak except for staves. They say it gives the whiskey a funny taste.
I have also sawn quite a lot of post oak for trailer decking, bridge runners, and fence boards. My understanding is that it is the closest oak to true white oak in durability and weather resistance. I like it very much.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

booman

I agree, post oak is very similar to white oak and is good for trailer floors.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

KenMac

Since you actually asked about ceining joists, I apologize for going down the wrong road. I don't know why it wouldn't work for joists, but I would understand that predrilling would be necessary if joists are dry. That post oak is HARD.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Oakbit

Post Oak is in the white oak group, and accordingly has tyloses that block the pores/xylem (of the heartwood, not when it's still sapwood), which makes it very decay resistant and useful for outdoor applications.

kelLOGg

I have sawn and sold it. No sawing or negative feedback from customers.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DanL

Thanks everyone for the good information. I will probably saw some post oak to see how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Dan
From God's Farm in Alabama
"God bless America" and "Alba gu brath"

Thank You Sponsors!