iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to use a range of wood species in same project

Started by MillbrookMills, May 17, 2023, 05:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MillbrookMills

I have access to good sized timber for milling in my area.

The issue I have is there is not one species with any volume so I would cut Balsam Fir, White Spruce, Austrian Pine, White Pine and Colorado Blue Spruce.

If I make cabin logs can you have different varieties of log used? 

Perhaps I can stagger them for interior walls.

Just not a big wood worker so trying to find one big project for all the species at the same time. 

(first post and have read this forum for years and you guys are the best for information!)

Magicman

Use one species on the lower ~30" as a wainscotting and then another species above.  Use one species on one wall or opposing walls and then another species on the opposite walls.  There are many options to mix it up in a pleasing way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MillbrookMills

Thanks Magicman. I have read your posts for some time and appreciate the great advice!

Magicman

You are very welcome.  I failed to mention to orient some horizontal and some vertical to further mix it up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jpassardi

One positive you have going for you is that those species are somewhat similar looking. Some of them you could likely mix and no one but you would know.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Brad_bb

I don't know where you're building it, but one thing I think about is weather exposure and rot.  In the midwest and south log cabins that are exposed don't seem to last long term.  There are a lot of log structures that were originally covered and that protected the logs/outside.  When people repurpose log structures today and build and leave them exposed especially hardwood in the midwest and south, you see water and bug damage over time.

I love the big old hewn logs, but if it were me, I'd cover them structure on the outside and you can expose them on the inside.  Maybe in an arid or semi-arid region they live a lot longer exposed...Just my perceptions.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

MillbrookMills

Building up in Ontario Canada. woke up to frost today. ugg.

Good points on the weathering issues.

Thank You Sponsors!