iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner measurements

Started by Chuckk, May 22, 2023, 05:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckk

Hello!

I would like to fabricate a log turner for my mill. After searching through the forms I settled on the style jpassardi and YellowHammer posted.

Here is the link to their posts.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=88470.msg1940379#msg1940379

Dose anyone have dimensions for the arm lengths? I was planning on using 2"X2"X1/4" square tubing. I know each mill is different but if could get an idea of how long they are before I start chopping steel it would cut down on trial and error.

Thanks!

Chuckk

Gere Flewelling

I built a claw type turner from the pictures I found of YH set up he built.  I did not have any measurements to go by but once I determined the length that the lower arm needed to be to operate inside of my frame rails I was basically all set to build the rest measuring off of that arm setting in the horizontal position.  If you go to the FF index and scroll down to the Cooks site and then get on the Cook's modifications post you will see a pretty extensive set of pictures I posted about the one I built. It works great in my opinion. Since every manufacturer of saw mills build theirs a little different, I suspect the beginning frame width measurements may vary.  I think you tubing size is a good start.  As you make it allow for some adjustments that will enable you to tune it in better. I kind of went overboard with my adjustments, but some will you options. Where I have it set in my photos is where I have left it.  Have  never had the need for any other changes.  Good luck! A worthwhile adventure.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

jpassardi

Chuck,
I think I made the arms 18" long, I'll try to measure them tomorrow for you. I used 2 1/2 box, 1/4 wall but 2" is plenty.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Gere Flewelling

Here are a few more pictures of my project. 

Hopefully a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

TroyC

I'm following this, just wondering, does the arm return on its own weight when you reverse the winch? Looks like a nice project!

Gere Flewelling

Log turner does gravity down when winch is reversed. I did add a weighted piece if 2" tube to the under side if the base arm to make it return faster.  Winch works amazingly well.

Chuckk

Thanks Gere for the info and the pictures are great! The vast majority of the logs I saw are under 24" but occasionally I'll get a +30". I have been using a cant hook for turning and it works good. However I am blessed (not being sarcastic) to have my father with me and he likes to help with everything including rolling the logs. He can still do it but I don't think a 72 year old man should have to!

The mill is homemade with most functions being manual. Currently writing the set-works program to control the saw head, which will be driven by a stepper motor. The forward and return are powered by a tarp motor. eventually I will add a hydraulic power pack and automate the stops, clamps, turner, and toe boards.

Jpassardi, thanks for the comment and checking. I appreciate all info!

Chuckk

Hilltop366

There is a PDF set of measured drawings of the "pineywoods turner" on here if you search, I also posted a set converted to post from my gallery for those who could not download the PDF. 

Gere Flewelling

Chuckk- The winch I used is a remote controlled unit. I have a small controller I hang on a strap around my neck.  Others don't seem to like this style of control, but I have had great luck with mine and can operate the turner from anywhere around the mill depending on what is needed during the process.  I can get most of a year out of the quarter sized battery in the controller.  On the 26" logs and smaller the turner works great.  On the bigger ones that max out the mill, I have to help out initially until the log size gets smaller.  I think your dad will be very happy once he learns to use it.  It should do a great job of saving both of your backs!  Don't forget the pictures as your build progresses. popcorn_smiley

jpassardi

Good advise from Gere, my winch has a corded controller which works well but fully remote would be even better.

I also used a tarp motor with PWM controller for up/down, forward/reverse I used an old wheelchair motor with PWM and wired in limit switches.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Chuckk

Thank you everyone for the information. I'm hoping to build it ether this weekend or next week. I do have a extra 3000lb winch lying around with a remote I could use. I'll try to post pictures when I have it done.

Thanks!

Chuck

TroyC

How is the construction coming along?

Thank You Sponsors!