Sponsors:

Solved: Alternate leaved dogwood

Started by SwampDonkey, June 20, 2004, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well?

The stem

The flower

Ok, it might be easy to get the family, but what is the species, its pretty big for these parts. The leaves are alternate. I know it can't be a transplanted horticultural plant.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

SwampDonkey

Funny guy  ;)  Ok we know its a dogwood, right? I read in Audubon that red osier grows up to 10 feet, that's got to be a mistake. I never see it more than 4 feet and we got tons of the stuff. But, we have 2 other species. Alternate leafed dogwood and round leaved dogwood. Its gotta be alternate leafed dogwood, but my plant book doesn't have it listed. This dogwood seems to like mixedwood are hardwood ground which is not real dry. At least that is where I keep runnin into them. I notice the stem is yellow-orange or green on young shrubs and its more erect than red osier. I gotta surf deeper into the cripts of the web here. There was an ever bigger one on my lot before we cleared some farmland. Could almost log these Dang things. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Ah, I thought the leaf arrangement was the tell tailed sign. Its alternate leaved dogwood alright and it can grow to 25 feet, wow, a monster shrub.
More Info Here

Thank You Sponsors!