iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crotch Wood

Started by Jacar, December 29, 2002, 09:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

I went and looked at a red oak a friend cut down this week.  It had been struck by lightning last summer.  It was still alive, but there is some dead wood around the outside rings.

It is 25' long, 21" at the butt.  There is a "Y" at the top which is about 18" right below the crotch wood 8).  The crotch is about 28" across.

I have never cut crotch wood before.  Any suggestions?  ::)

Thanks

Jack  :)
Jack Watkins

SWAMPRAT

Jacar

My understanding, and I could be wrong, it is the wood below the "Y" of the trunk.  Supposed to have a lot of figured grain.  So if my term is wrong, I want to know the best way to cut the "Y".  

Jack
Jack Watkins

Tom

You have the terminology correct.  

I would include the crotch in a piece that was 8 feet long for handling purposes.  Most mills are built to saw a minimum of 8'.

Lop the ears of the fork off so that it will fit the mill. Do this with a chainsaw before hand if you can but make your cuts parallel to the log.  This cut may end up being the side of a board.

Put the log on the mill (bandmill)  such that the fork is laying flat on the bed and looks like a pair of pants.  Level the heart of the log such that the pith in the log and the pith in both forks is level.

Begin sawing your boards.  They will look like a "Y".  The more you progress through the log, the more of the crotch grain you will pick up. It will be toward the center of the log and you should not expect to produce but a few boards.

If the crotch didn't grow together, there will be a bark line in the board.  This bark line will split and you will only be able to salvage small sections of crotch grain.  If the Crotch grew together solid then you will have some boards with remarkably entertwined and swirled grain.

Handle the boards gently.  Much of the wood will be endgrain and rough handling can split a beautiful board.

Keep in mind that the crotch of a tree is a handy place for a kid to store valuables like marbles, old bottles, rope, forgotten pocket knives and the like.  :D

Jacar

Thanks Tom,

I am able to saw much shorter than 8'.  Would 4-5 ' be ok?  What would most people want 4/4 or 8/4 or somewhere in between?  You may not be able to answer that.  I may just keep it myself and make a coffe table.

Happy New Year! 8) 8)

Jack :)
Jack Watkins

J Beyer

The coffee table idea sounds great to me if the boards will hold up to the manufacturing process.  Would make quite a conversation piece as to how you got a table with crotch wood grain pattern.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

DanG

I'm finding myself on the horns of the same delimna. I have a really nice oak crotch that I'm supposed to mill Wednesday on my Mobile Dimension Saw. Anybody have any suggestions about a technique? I expect the choices to be very limited as to the orientation of the piece. It is odd shaped and 3-pronged, so I'll just have to clamp it any which way I can, and hope for the best, unless someone has another idea.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

DanG, I have a couple suggestions.   One, bring that puppy out here to Oregon and I will slab it with my "Slabber". ;D  In fact I have just cut 4 slabs fromthe large (60") English Walnut that wa brought in several days ago.  Or, you can order a dedicated slabber from Baily's and I will have John and Mobile Mfg. make up a kit for you to use on your own mill. 8) 8) 8)
  The other way Dan to to simply saw the top half of the log into lumber and use the bottom half as the table.  I use to do that a great deal before the "Slabber" idea appeared in a nightmare, several months ago. :'(
Frank Pender

Jacar

Hey Frank,

Let me express my ignorance.  What is a slabber? ???

Jack
Jack Watkins

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Jeff, looking at that old thread- whatever happened to Kevin aka Rant's Buddy? Haven't heard from him in a looong time unless I missed something. Wasn't he the one in the nearly-full Monty shot with the snowblower? That was a while ago- last year when we got severly off-topic in the tropicalsdepartment.. (the tropicals, by the way, are loving it in the hot-tub room. The chemicals don't seem to bother them a bit.)   8)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I guess Kevin is in the bush sawing trees or something. No, that was not Kevin in the picture, it was just something he found on the net.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

ooohh- and here all this time I was thinking it 'twere him..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!