iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust chain speed ?

Started by snowshoveler, April 11, 2012, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

i have gathered up most of my sawdust chain parts and pieces.
Doing a little math with the calculator in the Forum Toolbox.
Looking at what I can see in peoples videos.
It seems that most of the drive pulleys are running at about 50 to 75 rpm.
This seems to put very little strain on anything and removes the sawdust without any trouble.
Am I correct in my calculations.
Thanks Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Chris,I don't really know,my flatbelt is about 4 1/2 inches wide and traveling at walking speed.Probibly depends on how wide your trough and paddles are too.Your probibly safe with your estimate.The simplest of systems work because the sawdust builds its own trough then gets carried out.You'll just have to try it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

It's pretty much just a "whatever feels right" kinda thing. Slow and steady will still move a lot of dust because the chain moves all of the time, not just when you're in the cut. While you gig back, turn logs, load new logs, etc. the chain just keeps plugging away.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

steamsawyer

Hey Chris,

I would also say, what ever feels good too. Slow and steady will get the job done allright. Mine runs fairly fast but I am going to rework it and slow it down some. The only problem I have is that the sawdust comes off the end of the trough so fast that it throws a lot into the air and the breeze picks it up and blows it back on the offbearers. Since my chain is powered by a seperate engine it can run when nothing else is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBCr-yx4hQ&list=UU7d1hrrieYmf1HNx6ypOVpg&index=6&feature=plcp

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

snowshoveler

Hi Mr Steamsawyer...
Thats a nice steam engine  and mill you have there.
  I looked at your pics and then watched your movie. Thanks for that.
Your chain runs a bit faster than I would like for mine.
Perhsps you could just slow down the engine a bit if you have a windy dusty day.
I will try for the 50 or so rpm on the pulley driving the sprocket that pulls the chain.
Belts and pulleys are pretty easy for me in my line of work.
I had planned to use a 12 volt geardrive motor to run it but may now use the feed to do it.
Oh well something will work.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

snowshoveler

I just went to a new friends place and gathered up about 60 feet of very nice sawdust chain with paddles.
Even got a drive gear with shaft. Picked up 4 nice small cast belt pulleys while I was there.
Got a bit of a tour of an older circle mill and was impressed with the layout.
He set it up so he can saw pretty much single handed, as help is sometimes hard to find.
Hopefully I have enough parts to start assembling my sawdust chain now.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

apm

Make that new friend a good friend, quickly!

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

bandmiller2

Chris,what Greg said squared.I'd offer to help the fella with boath your eyes wide open.Before I set up my first circular mill I spent alot of time traveling around to different mills and watching how they operated.You'll see some clever and some not so clever stuff, copy the best forget the rest. Frank C.

snowshoveler

I have the sawdust chain installed in the mill today.
Now I just need to power it. I think the easiest way is from the feed shaft.
Have to pick up a few small v pulleys. Already have the belts and shafts.
Target speed on the gear for driving the chain is 60 rpm.
So far this is not a problem.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

captain_crunch

Chris
It dont have to move fast I have hopper sawdust falls into and hyd motor running conveyer and only run it on gig back beings hyd pump is 12 v powered and cant run it constantly but gets job done
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Steamenginesmitty

Quote from: steamsawyer on April 12, 2012, 01:00:00 PM
Hey Chris,

I would also say, what ever feels good too. Slow and steady will get the job done allright. Mine runs fairly fast but I am going to rework it and slow it down some. The only problem I have is that the sawdust comes off the end of the trough so fast that it throws a lot into the air and the breeze picks it up and blows it back on the offbearers. Since my chain is powered by a seperate engine it can run when nothing else is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBCr-yx4hQ&list=UU7d1hrrieYmf1HNx6ypOVpg&index=6&feature=plcp

Alan

What is nice about this setup is that one can clean under the mill without steaming the engine or the blade turning.  As long as one shovels the sawdust under the blade it gets carried away.

smiley_thumbsup

york

Alan,is right,ya don`t need the head-saw running,when your under it cleaning up the sawdust,that does buildup-the chain needs it`s own power source....
albert
Albert

bandmiller2

Chris,I have a 1/2 hp electric motor on mine coupled to a gearbox with a flat pulley to run the sawdust belt.As Bert said it handy to not have to run the saw to clean out the dust,you can reach under with a rake or hoe and not worry about life and limb. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!