iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giving up on the 056 Stihl

Started by wood monger, March 30, 2010, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wood monger

Well I've finally made up my mind, a big task, just ask my wife she'll tell you all about it. I'm giving up on the stihl 056.  I'm tired of trying this and that to no avail, and the unavailibility of parts is very frustrating. I'm going to try and sell it to raise money for my saw fund. Do you folks think it's more lucrative to part the saw out or sell whole. I'm trying to decide between stihl ms441, husky 372xp,or a jonsered 2171 as a replacement saw for this one. I have a mid-size husky now that I do most of my cutting with. I just need a bigger saw for big logs I can sometimes get into, oftentimes because noone else has a bigger saw. I heat with wood so it's not like I'm using the saw all day or every day. I probobly cut 10 to 15 face cords of wood a year,usually hardwood. Any input would be greatly appreciated, you folks have been very helpful with input on this problem child of mine. Thanks.

timber tramp

You might try running an ad on Craigslist to barter for another saw, and see what you get offered. There was an ad on Portland, OR Craigslist the other day, a guy looking to trade an 066 for an 044/046. Just a thought. Good luck.               :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

timber tramp

Cause every good story needs a villan!

windthrown

Yah, getting parts on the older Stihls is a PITA. I sold my older 020AV for that reason. No parts avialable from the dealers for them any more.  

Maybe I will start stockpiling 361 parts now so I will be able to use them until I am buried with one of them. I suppose I can cannabilize the 3 of them to keep 2 going, and then one... and be buried with that one. Knowing my two brothers though, they would swap out the good one for a broken one to bury me with.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Al_Smith

Oh you could probabley get the old duffer running if you fooled with it long enough .I've never ever had one yet that whipped me but I've spent hours on them  at times .

On the other hand just cutting that amount of wood per year perhaps a lighter saw would suffice better . Anything 60-70 cc's would get-er-done just as fast and be a darn sight easier on the old body that an 056 . For that matter a 3 cuber would do the job too .

Ed

I know someone who might be interested......pm me a price if you have one.
I'm only 20 miles North of you.

Ed

Mad Professor

Quote from: wood monger on March 30, 2010, 10:34:39 AM
Well I've finally made up my mind, a big task, just ask my wife she'll tell you all about it. I'm giving up on the stihl 056.  I'm tired of trying this and that to no avail, and the unavailibility of parts is very frustrating. I'm going to try and sell it to raise money for my saw fund. Do you folks think it's more lucrative to part the saw out or sell whole. I'm trying to decide between stihl ms441, husky 372xp,or a jonsered 2171 as a replacement saw for this one. I have a mid-size husky now that I do most of my cutting with. I just need a bigger saw for big logs I can sometimes get into, oftentimes because noone else has a bigger saw. I heat with wood so it's not like I'm using the saw all day or every day. I probobly cut 10 to 15 face cords of wood a year,usually hardwood. Any input would be greatly appreciated, you folks have been very helpful with input on this problem child of mine. Thanks.

If it has the SEM coil/flywheel I'd be interested in those.

wood monger

This saw is not running. I believe the problem is the coil. The saw is in good condition other than that, if somebody needed parts or has a sae coil and flywheel this could be a good saw. I'm not willing to buy a new sem setup, nor take a chance on a used unit. I don't know what a boat anchor goes for, I have to do some research. Thanks Wood Monger.

Al_Smith

I may be mistaken but I've heard that saw uses the same coil as a 2100 Husqvarna .If that is the case it's one high priced unit, like 150 new .

Now there is a gent in Washington state that sells stuff on flea bay .I did get a 2100 coil for about 1/3 new price .The kill wire didn't work but the coil will throw the nicest blue spark about an inch long on just a pull over . I figured an alternate way to shut off the spark .

Mad Professor

If it has the SEM setup you can use a stihl cutoff saw coil (TS 400?) , they are readily available used.. 

With the Bosch the flywheel is different as is the coil.  Have not run these log term, but word is Bosch craps out quicker too.

Ed

Quote from: wood monger on April 01, 2010, 01:28:28 PM
This saw is not running. I believe the problem is the coil. The saw is in good condition other than that, if somebody needed parts or has a sae coil and flywheel this could be a good saw. I'm not willing to buy a new sem setup, nor take a chance on a used unit. I don't know what a boat anchor goes for, I have to do some research. Thanks Wood Monger.

Let me know what you decide....my friends' saw needs a piston, ignition is fine. He is interested

Ed

quietrangr

I would list on ebay. I sold a 2171 Jonsered, which was running but probably will be used for parts, for about $200.

sefh

Me too. I have an extra coil as a backup to mine. I'll take it from you. PM me if your interested.
Stihl 056 27"
Stihl 290 20"
Stihl 026 20"

Thank You Sponsors!