iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Partner 500 troubleshoot

Started by Cut4fun, August 31, 2010, 07:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut4fun

I dont think there is anything to it. But wanted to throw this out there to you guys that might have a idea.

Partner 500 open muffler no baffle, 4 stroking out of wood, clears up in the cut. Just cutting hardwoods for firewood with 20" 3/8 square full skip with bar buried. Just installed new oiler and using 1 tank oil to 1 tank fuel.

He has been cutting in the 90+ degree heat and says the saw tank is getting so hot it shoots out like a geyser if he goes to refuel it when it is hot after extended cutting.

I had just cleaned the cylinder fins, flywheel etc. Dont see anything to make it run hot. Checked tank vent etc and all seems fine there. Ran it here at the house cut after cut after cut and never acted any different then usual.

I'm guessing he is just running the pizz out of it in the heat of the day with the 20" bar and 3/8 set up buried with chain maybe getting dull before touch ups.

Remember it is a one piece metal crankcase and tank.

What is your guys take.

ladylake

Maybe he's lugging it to much, more RPM would keep it cooler.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sablatnic

I think it is acting normally. The Partner 5000 and the Jonsereds 490 used to have the same problem, and that is the reason for the "condensator" above the carburettors  on the later saws of this series.

Cut4fun

Quote from: sablatnic on September 01, 2010, 12:46:43 PM
and that is the reason for the "condensator" above the carburettors  on the later saws of this series.

You talking about that black plastic tank looking thing mounted behind top carb area and connected to the tank vent later on?

sablatnic

Sorry for being late. Have had an ill computer.
You are right, that's the one. The first generations just let the steam out into an open chamber between the crankcase and the tank. Later on that chamber was sealed, and had tubes that let the tank suck the gas back, when the saw cooled off. Never really worked. The latest ones had the black plastic tank, that did work, as long as it didn't leak.

Cut4fun

Thanks for the info. I had wondered the purpose of the black tank thing on the newer ones. 

SwampDonkey

My guess is dull chain, did you change the chain at the house before testing?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ehp

Kevin I have seen lots of the older saws do that same thing in the heat and the hotter outside it is the worse they do it and its not just partners ,

SwampDonkey

One fellow cutting brush with an Echo says his fuel mileage drops in the heat. Mine doesn't seem to be affected, I get over an hour on a tank on my Stihl. That guy I'm mentioning could forget to add the oil to his fuel and go to cutting as if in his right mind and not let on.  Quite the boy. Oh, he knows he's doing wrong, but runs her just the same. She seized up yesterday. Wonder why? ::) :D :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ehp

I see way more motor problems like stuck piston rings in the hottest time of the year compared to the winter

Cut4fun

Being he has had his pink slip since last winter. This is the first time he has ever cut in the heat 90+ degrees. Usually it was in the cooler slower work months for him. So it was a problem I hadnt seen on the Partners before.

Art said it was a big issue with the pulp guys back in the day cutting in the heat.

ehp

it was a big enough problem in the real heat in the summer that we carried extra saws on the skidders incase the cutters saw started boiling the gas , the P62 was bad for this but even in the heat of the summer the 181/281 would get way to hot but that was back when you cut nice timber not like today and you cut close to 50% more trees a day , nothing was marked

SwampDonkey

I had a light Sacs Dalmor saw on a yard bucking and after the first tank it would be hot. This was summer bucking spruce logs, so a lot easier sawing than hard maple. That saw was never any good from day one.

Thank You Sponsors!