iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

powersharp by oregon

Started by kev, November 22, 2010, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev

hi everyone any one tried the new powersharp by oregon what are the results.

sawguy21

I tried it. It works but is probably best suited to the newbie occasional weekend warrior who can't or won't learn how to file. We keep getting calls from dealers who have someone wanting it on their 066 or 372XP.  :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Doing a FF search on powersharp brings up previous posts and discussions that may help answer the question.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45739.msg658218.html#msg658218
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

donny hochstetler

I do a lot of carving , was at a show carving , the oregon rep was set up beside me,  he came over with a big grin,  and a, supposed to be.  sharp saw. needless to say I soon gave it back, it cut,  but that was about it   :D

ComputerUser

What's the point?  I seem to have missed that part of the PowerSharp phenomenon.

Al_Smith

It's just a resurgence of something that didn't work in the 70's but  using  a slightly different method .Didn't work well then,doubtful it will now .

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 22, 2010, 10:45:34 PM
I tried it. It works but is probably best suited to the newbie occasional weekend warrior who can't or won't learn how to file. ....

That is basically what an Oregon rep told me in a pm, after I was negative to the consept on another site!   :)

No surprices there!   :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Oregon first introduced the concept in 1965. It was called "Safe Sharp". Poulan was the first saw manufacturer to use it in 1966.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

McCulloch also had a so called self sharpener on one of the mini Macs . The idea was short lived as I imagine this latest brain storm will be .

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people make such a deal of sharpening a chainsaw chain .I mean they spend a fortune on grinders ,little file guide systems etc . All it would take is a box of files and paying a little attention to detail and in not too long they'd get the hang of it . Rocket science ,pshaw . :D

John Mc

Personally, I like the oregon guide that looks more or less like a 1" x 8"(approx) flat plate with a groove down the length that the file clamps in to. I was constantly diving too deep into the gullet of the tooth before I started using that guide. I know I would have eventually got it, but this makes it a no-brainer. I also tend to lose fewer files when they're attached to this.

Agree that the Powersharp system is most likely a waste of time. It's just not that hard to learn how to sharpen well, or at the worst case, carry a couple of spare chains and swap them out, then bring the dull ones to someone who can sharpen them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Well yes the Oregon guide is about as simple as they get .I use them myself every so often .You can cut the gullets deeper but you still have to keep the top plate edge angle in restrospect  which that type guide does very well at .

A deeper gullet will hold more chip before it rocks out of the cut but probabley for most people that's a moot point .No big deal one way or 'tother .

John Mc

My problem was that as  went deeper, I ended up with more of a "hook" on the tooth. This resulted in a really "grabby" chain, especially when bore cutting. The Oregon guide cured that problem for me
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Yep ,it's about the same as putting a "beak " on square ground .Grabs a lot of wood but actually slows you down .With a little practice you can walk a gullet clear to the tie strap without beaking in it .Like I said before it doesn't mean that much to 90 percent of saw users  any way .

Thank You Sponsors!