iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Cut Off at High Noon

Started by CX3, January 08, 2011, 12:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

I am going to co-sponsor a cut off at our local saw shop.  I have no experience with different classes...etc....of a saw cut off tournament.  The sawmill we sell to is going to donate some ties so that each contestant has the same wood to cut on.  I would like info on how to set this all up, what classes to have, basically any info would be great.  Also, I really would like to keep this a "wood cutter" and "logger" type fun day.  I would not be offended by someone showing up with a dirt bike motor on a bar, but would really like to see who really has the fastest work saw around.  Thanks for your help. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Cut4fun

Muffler classes pump gas it sounds like.

I used to do.

Top handle saws like 200T 338 2000 etc 0-40

then rear handle 0-40
0-50 51 or 49 3ci
0-60 or 65 4ci
0-80 or 81 5ci
0-100
100+

Then pipe gas saws same break down,

Then alky/nitro burners in stock appearing and hotsaws

Al_Smith

Well if the contestants are cutting ties like the railroad type, those are hardwood which pretty much eliminates race chain .No big deal though .

You'd be better off running over the blocks rather that hot start,saw on the ground or cold start .A lot safer for the less experianced .

Al_Smith

Oh I might add the pop don't get topped until the sawing is done .Do the sawing shoot the breeze and kick back later . 8)

CX3

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2011, 05:40:40 PM

You'd be better off running over the blocks rather that hot start,saw on the ground or cold start .A lot safer for the less experianced .

Al could you please explain this a little better for me.  Thanks.  And there will be no alcohol at this deal.  This will be a professionally organized event with hopefully a bunch of good ol boys who want to see who has the baddest saw.  Thanks.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Cut4fun

You have hotstart saw running over wood.  safest for newbies.

Hotstart saw running on ground with hand on cant

HS saw running on ground with hands on saw.

cold start, saw is off, hands on cant.

Cut4fun

This is hotstart over wood. Oh that be Al in the back ground.   ;) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSldFuOn5I

Al_Smith

Quote from: CX3 on January 08, 2011, 11:07:10 PM
  And there will be no alcohol at this deal.  This will be a professionally organized event with hopefully a bunch of good ol boys who want to see who has the baddest saw.  Thanks.
I wasn't trying to imply that you would have a bunch of drunken red necks running saws .

It's just pretty much taken for granted  with the rowdy crowd I run with though that nobody pops a brew until afterwards .

I've been at this stuff a long time,runnng saws ,power equipment,shooting fire arms .I don't mix the two,ever  and I'm  certified journeyman beer drinker to boot .  8)

Troutfisher

Our classes were 0-60cc, 0-100cc, and open hotsaw. The two work saw classes were

gasoline only
stock carb with working choke and air filter
unaltered flywheel
no two piece heads
no tuned pipes

Hotsaw was single cylinder, pull start (anything goes)

work saws were live start. (saw idling on the ground, competitior's hands on the block)
Hotsaw was dead start.

Troutfisher

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM
Oh I might add the pop don't get topped until the sawing is done .Do the sawing shoot the breeze and kick back later . 8)

Al, I need a couple beers just to work up the  :) :)'s to pull the rope on some of these things!!

tlandrum

i have a waiver for folks to sign before they can run saws, i dont mind a cold one after the sawing is done
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

komatsuvarna

Quote from: Troutfisher on January 09, 2011, 06:27:52 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM

Al, I need a couple beers just to work up the  :) :)'s to pull the rope on some of these things!!

lmao troutfisher

Al_Smith

Quote from: Troutfisher on January 09, 2011, 06:27:52 PM
Al, I need a couple beers just to work up the  :) :)'s to pull the rope on some of these things!!
Let me tell you at that same GTG that I'm sitting on that log I had an 084 come back on me and darned dear broke my poor old paw .That puppy got a D-handle from that point on .Danged hand was sore for months over that episode . >:(

Thank You Sponsors!