iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

044 Carburator problems

Started by Daniel J, July 04, 2016, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel J

I have an older 044 (probably mid 90s) Been a strong running saw for ever. The last couple days its started not idling, would die when I let off the throttle, after I ran a tank of gas and fueled up I couldn't get it to start. Let it sit about an hour then I got it to start but it wouldn't idle. and I could only get it to start if I full Choked it every time. So I rebuilt the Carburetor. Figured it couldn't hurt. It was dirty, the reed valves were dirty, the screen was dirty. I put the carb back on the saw and now I cant get the saw to start. I've rebuilt a few carbs before so Im confident I did everything right. Any ideas??

Of course I'm going to eat my words now.. So it seems to be flooding its self out. I pull on it 10 or so times then pull the spark plug and its really wet. I tore the carb apart and went through it again. Double checked everything. Made sure the lifter on the needle valve is adjusted properly... even made sure the diaphragm wasn't upside down all that simple stuff.  I am at a complete loss. Like I said I've rebuilt carbs before and have never ran into this.

Thanks!

Hilltop366

Filter, fuel line, pulse line (if equipped).

Daniel J

Its defiantly getting fuel. After I pull on it 10 or so times I pulled the spark plug and its wet. I know the plug is getting spark. And I tried a new one just to be safe. Im not familiar with the pulse line?

Daniel J

Just kidding, I know what the pulse line. It seems to be fine.

dougand3

Needle seat or check valve damaged, so constant flooding?
An 044 AM carb is ~$12.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

farmguy

joe_indi

Even the best of us may by mistake install the diaphragms (pumping and metering) in the wrong sequence.
Other than that if everything else mentione is fine, I would check the pump diaphragm for a leak (pressure test).
If the pump diaphragm is damaged, with the engine shut off it floods, but when it is started up it leans out and stops.
Joe

Daniel J

Thanks for all the info everyone. So now I've got the flooding problem under control. Now, I can get it to start but once I let off the throttle it immediately dies. I have the high/low set to factory, and I've adjusted the idle all the way in/out/everywhere in between.

After I start and run it for 10-20 seconds I can only get it to start from the half choke position. Maybe I just need to buy a whole new carb? I dont know how much more cleaning and rebuilding I can do to it.

ZeroJunk

I had one the other day that I could not get to run properly . I put a little pressure on it and it was leaking around the gasket. There was nothing about that gasket to give one any idea that it was leaking, but you could not tighten it enough to get it to quit. Replaced the gasket and it ran fine.
Lot of voodoo in a carb.

joe_indi

the "Starting but not idling" could also be from stuck rings or a minor seizure, both of which reduce compression.
Remove the muffler and do a through inspection.
Also, remove the clutch drum and try shaking the crankshaft. If it has a shake, air is going into the crankcase through the bearing/oil seal/crankcase gap(s)
Check if you have any loose cylinder screws.
The 044 also had paper cylinder gaskets which tend to blow, you might need to check that too.
Joe

Big Wood

the 2 biggest mistakes someone can do is install the diaphragm and gasket wrong OR install the new metering lever without setting it's height whic h is what sounds to be the issue. if you have it set way to high the diaphragm will hold the needle open and flood it to all hell. should be a zama C3M on an old 044.

ladylake

Check the intake boot between the carb and cylinder for cracks.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Daniel J

Quote from: joe_indi on July 06, 2016, 12:21:11 AM
the "Starting but not idling" could also be from stuck rings or a minor seizure, both of which reduce compression.
Remove the muffler and do a through inspection.
Also, remove the clutch drum and try shaking the crankshaft. If it has a shake, air is going into the crankcase through the bearing/oil seal/crankcase gap(s)
Check if you have any loose cylinder screws.
The 044 also had paper cylinder gaskets which tend to blow, you might need to check that too.
Joe

Thanks for all the help everyone. It turns out one of the rings was broke. The top ring was solid, but the bottom one was loose. when I took the muffler off I could move it slightly, and the top of the piston was scored.

Thanks again!

Thank You Sponsors!