iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

KD150 questions

Started by Lopi, June 29, 2018, 05:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lopi

Hi Gang,  another new guy here.  I was sickened seeing our quality hardwoods being put in the tub grinders.  As a retirement activity/business I've purchased a Wood Mizer mill and a KD150 kiln which will replace my home made DH kiln.   Stan at Nile has been helpful in starting me on the right track.    I have a load of 6/4 black walnut just finicheing up as my first load.  A couple questions;  Do you guys use sample boards or do you pin the lumber to check on drying progress?  Do you use additional fans, I used a few box fans on low. Even on low, they are creating a differential in MC.   I used plywood to baffle the load, in addition I had some canvas painter drop clothes, I used them to create a "tent" over the load.  This appeared to provide a great path for air movement, is there a downside to a super baffle?  And, when and how do you guys sterilize the load, at the end?  Any advice on what you use to get up to 140-150F? 

Thanks for any input and insight,  Jeff

WDH

I have the Nyle L53, same unit.  I am so used to running mine that I just use the moisture meter.  The 1" polystyrene 4' x 8' panels make a quick and light baffle.  Plywood is too heavy for me.  I have 4 additional 800 CFM fans on the baffle deck, two on each side of the unit, and two box fans on the floor behind the wood blowing toward the back wall. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lopi

Thanks, do you run the kiln up to 140+ to sterilize?  I'm guessing a few of the work lights will do the trick.    Another dumb question, if  wood seems to normalize at 12% or so here in the upper Midwest, do we really need to take the lumber to 8% and then let it slowly increase to 12% on its own? 

WDH

150 degrees for 24 hours to sterilize. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The interior of a home in the Midwest is around 6% EMC in the winter and 9% EMC in the summer.  Outside is 12% EMC.  For exterior-use wood, we do not need to dry to 7.0% MC.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

123maxbars

I do the same as WDH I also use two cheap heat lamps(work lights about 24$ at home depot) to get the temp up to 150 faster than if I was relying on the kiln. The kiln will get you there on the high temp but the heat lamps speed up the time of reaching 150. After I hit 150 I turn the lamps off. Great kiln and a great money maker!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!