iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thermostaticly controlled outlets???

Started by shinnlinger, January 11, 2009, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I would like to mount an outlet on a board that only turns on when it drops below freezing.  From heat lamps to water heaters to block heaters I would think these would be handy.

Any one have a cheap and easy way to do this????

Thanks.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

Not sure what is cheap for you, but such controllers are available.

Found a NIST-Traceable Temperature Controller on McMaster-Carr for under $150.   mcmaster.com

Also here:  http://www.control3.com/4130p.htm

Another place to look might be Radio Shack.

Cheaper might be to get the thermostat that has the temp range you want that controls a relay to operate an on/off power switch.

Maybe this for about $20
http://www.heatersplus.com/eh38.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Lowes has em for less than $20.  I use one to turn on the dogs heated water bowel and another to turn on the heated bird bath...birds have it good round here.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

terra8186

Central Boiler also has them.  I use them to turn my heaters on in the barn.

rowerwet

thermocube makes one that comes on at 35* and goes off at 45* for just that purpose, it looks like a three outlet plug adapter with the center plug missing, Amazon.com or Ebay will have them. I know that many engine heaters are plugged into these on piston airplanes.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

shinnlinger

Thanks folks,

That was pretty "cheap and easy"
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Thanks again guys,

I asked this question thinking someone would tell me how to rig up a thermostat to a conventional outlet, but instead I was turned onto the much easier(and cheaper) "Thermocube" which I just ordered from my local HDware store for less than $17.

Shinnlinger

beenthere

shinnlinger

I also was'nt aware these devices were available until you asked.
Looked up the Thermocube, and see they come in a variety of temp ranges.

http://www.apelectric.com/Thermo-Cube-s/25.htm?gclid=CITl4723rJgCFRk_awodHUCOnQ

I recommended one to my son, who leaves his home unattended in the winter. Suggested using one to kick on if the house gets down to 40°, and turns a light on. Then the neighbor who watches the house for him, can just watch for a light that indicates the furnace might need some attention. Good warning system for a variety of applications.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Also check for GENESIS (spelling?) online for heaters that are adjustable, ~20 to 70 used to mount inside electrical control panels to turn on small cabinet heaters.   they are about 20 bucks but are not plug in will need a through wire, others are non-adjustable on their site as well, also you can use some out of cloths dryersin line as high temp cutouts......

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

rowerwet

I just noticed Home Depot sells a thermostat plug made by Honeywell, it has a dial and a temp range from 30-60 I think, ($20) it is intended for turning on a light to warn of a cold house.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

Thank You Sponsors!