iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler 5036

Started by wi woodcutter, March 30, 2009, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wi woodcutter

I just bought a Central Boiler 5036 today, I will pick it up later this week.
Any tips or advise for install, it will be used for forced air and hot water for now.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

terra8186

Any Advice?  --- I would follow the instructions and pictures on the website.  If you get stuck, I am sure people on the board would be happy to help. 

I think you made a good choice.  I own a 6048 and have been extremely happy.

Good Luck

tonto

Hey Wi Woodcutter, congrats on your purchase. I bought a 5036 in Nov. I have run it for 5 months now and absolutely love it. Mine is hooked up directly to my oil boiler, no heat exchanger. Not sure how hot air will hook up. I used Thermo Pex - great product. I poured my concrete pad bigger than the boiler so I am not standing in the snow or mud when loading - glad I did that. Your dealer and this forum can be a wealth of knowledge. Dry, seasoned wood works the best, although you can burn wet wood - just get more smoke and not as good a burn. Test your water and use Ashtrol - not sure how great it works, but too big of an investment to take a chance. Also green wood leaves too big of a coal pile and not much room for wood. Good luck with it and enjoy, Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

wi woodcutter

I hope it works out well. My cousin has a 5648 and my best friend has a 6048 and they have good luck with there's. I bought mine right now because they have a great rebate going on. As far as the Thermo Pex it looks like great product but WOW it is expensive! My dealer told me $12 a foot that seems like too much for me.  I was going to run some pex inside drain tile and insulate it. I will post pics on here if I can ever figure it out.

sprintfan11

Hi wi woodcutter, I bought and pretty much installed my 5036 last November and it has been awesome. Very easy to maintain, just follow the maintenance guide, and brun whatever works best for you. I've burned seasoned, green, and a mix of both, you'll learn over time, just as I am. As far as installation, my dealer gave me an installation guide, I did everything except the final plumbing, and saved a couple thousand dollars. I have water baseboard heat and my hot water has never been better. Not a drop of oil bought in almost six months.. 8)
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

thecfarm

You don't say if it will be used for an existing forced air system or not.When my Heatmor was installed all they did was cut a hole in my duct work and put a heat exchanger in there. If you are even thinking of heating the hot water in the summer make sure you put some valves in to keep the water form circulating through any heat source.I did with mine and am some glad I did. Keeps the house from heating up.I have 2 other heat exchangers too.Mine are all 86000 BTU.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JSNH

I put in a 5036 last winter. It was to replace a burned out indoor furnace. I installed it in a temporary location next to the wood pile ;D. I installed it in January with 2 feet of snow on the ground and used the Central flex theropex at $12 a foot. Don't go cheep and buy a cheeper line. That stuff would not melt down in the snow untill we had some rain. When we had more snow that line would get burried and not melt. It really works to keep the heat in. It cost more but you loose a lot less heat. I would rather pay a few more dollars upfront and save a bunch of wood every year due to less heat loss.

JSNH

Dana

Locate the stove on the downwind side of your home. She will puff pretty good when calling for heat.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

How much thermopex do you need?  I just happen to have 60 feet plus a couple of heat exchangers. It was used very little and I could discount it quite a bit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR_Buck

Have you disconected the Bio-Mizer? ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Yep.  Bio-Mizer has decided to suspend testing on this phase of the program. They learned what they needed to learn from the testing of this first release of the machine. The next generation will be far enough different from these, that continued experimentation and testing of the preliminary models was not the thing to do. They would never  be able to be retro-fitted or converted,  So, as I said, that phase is ended so they can focus on going forward.

It was cool to be a tester, but my testing days have ended. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wi woodcutter

I need about 175' feet of Temopex 100' to the house and 75' to the garage. It is being installed in an existing forced air system, I already have the exchanger and side arm. I got them from my cousin for free. :) :) Putting in the valves like thecfarm said is a great point, I will do that. I am going to start installing it in May or June when the weather gets better.

DR_Buck

QuoteI need about 175' feet of Temopex

Well that will be about $2100  :o :o     $12 per foot last summer.

wi woodcutter

Quote from: DR_Buck on March 31, 2009, 10:24:59 PM
QuoteI need about 175' feet of Temopex

Well that will be about $2100  :o :o     $12 per foot last summer.

I have a hard time paying $2100 for the pex good or bad. I only paid $5,800 for the whole stove.

Gary_C

Quote from: wi woodcutter on March 30, 2009, 09:52:26 PM
I bought mine right now because they have a great rebate going on.

Thanks for the info on the rebates. I just bought a CB 6048 on the last day, 03-31-09, the rebates were available.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

wi woodcutter

If you were interested in a Central Boiler it was hard to turn down those rebates. I got $1350 off on my 5036, not bad. :)

OneWithWood

Gary, you are going to like that 6048.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DR_Buck

Gary_C

Ya, I am sure I will like it alright. Lucky that I saw the post from wi woodworker and called the last day the rebate was available. I got $1800 off and a good buy. The dealer told me he got nervous and set his pricing too low as he had over 30 units on hand about a month before and another order on the way. By the last day of the rebate he had sold everything he had and was scrambling for more, but there were none available.

I have plenty of average red oak logs to burn and if these hardwood markets don't recover, it will be burning some high quality red oak too.

Here is some of my red oak waiting for disposition. Actually about a third or more of that is already gone. The better logs in the near row are gone and half of the front pile of 17 footers in the back rows are gone also. I'd guess there is 120+ cords still there. Only problem is that pile is about 176 miles by road due north of where the 6048 will be.

Should last that 6048 for a while.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

NHHillbilly

Just a heads up.  Thought I would Clean some of the creasote on my fathers central 6048 around the damper.  I went back to put more wood in it for him after cleaning and the water temp was 201.  What had happened was a chunk of creasote and a tinly little stick fell into the damper area.  It only kept the damper open about 1/8 of an inch but it was enough to keep the thing crankin.  Hope this helps someone.   By the way, He loves it has run it year round for six years now.  No real maintenence.  Hasn't burned any oil either.
LT40hdg28

petefrom bearswamp

Tonto,
Mine is hooked up with a plate exchanger which I am told will plug in time.
works good now tho.
Any info you can give me on a direct boiler hookup would be very handy.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tonto

Hey Pete. I had my plumber call my CB dealer direct about the hook up - just so I didn't get any of the directions wrong. I have a 3 year old electronic Burnham oil boiler. We had to depressurize the oil boiler, which was OK because I only have to send hot water up one floor to cast iron radiators. Some say depressurizing the oil boilers won't work if you have to send water up 2 or 3 floors. We also had to set the low temp down to 150 degrees on the oil boiler so it would not fire unless the fire in the wood boiler went out, which hasn't happened yet. We went in the top of the oil boiler and out the bottom, it just makes a continuous loop. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!