iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

corvette ?

Started by ely, April 25, 2013, 09:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

i am appealing to a higher authority here today, last night i rode in a corvette for the first time in my life.
i have a 16 year old that is the new proud owner, it is a 1985 corvette, it has the 4+3 overdrive transmission. i wanted ask here how that button works and the process involved in shifting. the light would come on the dash but the rpm's would not change either way. could have a wire off underneath, i just wanted a little insite if i could get it. thanks in advance.

thecfarm

The guy above has an older corvette. He goes on line to a corvette forum,ask questions for his problems. Buys most of the repair parts from ebay or somewheres like that. Tells me bearings cost $200 he finds them for $100.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

i have found a corvette forum and they do have lots of info on there, that tranny seems to have quite the love hate relationship.

red oaks lumber

the vette is your 16 year old?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Hilltop366

Quote from: thecfarm on April 25, 2013, 10:02:11 AM
The guy above has an older corvette.

OK thecfarm how do you know God has a vette? ;D

JohnG28

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 25, 2013, 07:09:10 PM
the vette is your 16 year old?

I thought the same. :D Lucky kid! Sorry I can't help with the problem though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Bibbyman

Here's my 77' Corvette.  I got it about the time the boys got out of high school and went into the military.  I didn't have time to keep it up after we got the sawmill.  I got it fired up last fall and started working on the brakes. It needs about $500 in parts just to get it back on the road.

Two biggest problems with owning a Corvette is getting someone willing to work on them and the price of parts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kcwoodbutcher

Did you get around to airing up the tires? What's going on with the 442?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Bibbyman

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on April 25, 2013, 08:51:18 PM
Did you get around to airing up the tires? What's going on with the 442?

I sold the 442 and 72 Cutlass convertible and assortment of parts cars in one package deal a couple of years back.
Sawing since '94

shinnlinger

Wow,

I had a 68 cutlass S that was alot of fun.  Had a hard time keeping tires on it....

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

Hilltop,that is a good one.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 25, 2013, 10:01:19 PM
Wow,

I had a 68 cutlass S that was alot of fun.  Had a hard time keeping tires on it....

Dave

This one had enough power and tight hydromatic transmission that even if you took off easy at stop sign, it would bark the tires when it shifted from low to second. Sounded real cool. And that's with 60 series 15" radial tires.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

ely that 4plus3 setup is an aux trans like in motorhomes  try gearvendors overdrive 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ely

thanks for the tips, and yes the vette does belong to the 16 year old boy... remains to be seen how lucky he is... i will own a vette one day but its gonna be an old one.

WmFritz

Quote from: ely on April 26, 2013, 05:10:08 PM
thanks for the tips, and yes the vette does belong to the 16 year old boy... remains to be seen how lucky he is... i will own a vette one day but its gonna be an old one.

This ones almost 30. How old of one are you thinking for yourself?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

That 16 yr old must have a real good paying job.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

samandothers

In 2000 which was about a little over a year before my son turned 16 I sold my 67 roadster.  When he turned 17 he bought in own 73.  He has not let me live it down yet.  I must admit I do miss the roadster.

ely

for mysely i am interested in the early models- up thru 59. may even go with the early sixtys.
no BT the 16 year old does not have a good paying job, or a bad paying job, or a work ethic he needs to support the habit... ;D. the car spends more time at home than it does on the road.
he purchased the car with mostly his own cash, even after we discussed the cost of driving a car like that... ultimatly he is 16 and already knows all of that important stuff about how life works  :D...

most folks do not understand my parenting methods, it only took a week and a half for him to run low of funds... he burst into our room one evening and matter of factly exclaimed" i need money for gas"...me and my wife both blankly starred at him for a few short seconds then went back to watching the movie, he hung around for about 10 minutes then went on his way, i guess his efforts were not as fruitful as he thought it should be.
all the time i spent talking to him about budgeting the funds you have available and him nodding and saying "i know" didnt mean anything until he ran out of money and the car sits still.

Raider Bill

Vroom vroom vroom!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pappy19

My brother-in-law in Albuquerque has a 1959 original, not mint but he drives it, for sale if you know of anyone looking for an older 'Vette. Yes, all the numbers match; a 4 speed with a 4 barrel 283, white/red both tops, $35k.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WmFritz

Man those blowers were massive and intimidating weren't they.

Fast forward about 45 years and look at how superchargers have evolved.

630 horsepower from the factory.
133 mph in the quarter mile.
209 mph top speed.

I love the old stuff from the late 50's through early 70's... they are so much fun to see and drive. But, the late model high performance stuff is such a nicer ride, from the suspension to interior comfort. I've got a lot of miles on the 2014 vette and love or hate the exterior style, it is night and difference for ride quality, handling and performance.

That c 4 your boy bought is a nice car, especially for a high school kid.I'm sure you've given him "the talk" on respecting the speed and using common sense. The L-98 wasn't the fastest engine but, can get you in trouble in a hurry. I've got an '88 rag top.   smiley_peace

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!