iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a good quality hand sharpener for my circular mill,

Started by kiamori, September 26, 2020, 12:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiamori

I was looking through youtube and found this guy modifying an andrus hand filer which I did find for ~$300 but after watching the video its seems maybe not worth the quality.
Here is the video, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6T4dpodwA

Anyone have any suggestions on something like this? I have an electric one now but its a pain to setup compared to something like this.

Jeff

Used a jockey grinder a file a swage for 25 years, almost 15 years ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Rhoad

moodnacreek

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on September 26, 2020, 03:46:35 PM
Meadows Mills has the hand crank sharpener.   They bought Andrus. I have a few of those. They only work on steel teeth, no chrome or carbide .

Sharpener

Gearbox

I have filed away a lot of teeth with a Andrus rotary file .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Brian_Rhoad

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 26, 2020, 08:56:19 PMThey only work on steel teeth, no chrome or carbide .

I think they have wheels for chrome teeth. I know there are options for the wheels.

kantuckid

Sharpening a circle blade includes hammering-so just having the sharpener is only part of that journey? Are you up for that part? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Iwawoodwork

Can't  a person sharpen a number of times before the blade needs hammered.  I thought that unless the blade had been overheated it could be sharpened repeatedly.

moodnacreek

A low production circle saw running correctly can go years without being hammered.  I think the hand crank Andrus can only have the file pads or that's what the dealers told me. I do have the electric one and that takes stones.

Jeff

Unless damaged by tramp metal, or heat, I've had blades saw over 3 million bf without being hammered sawing debarked logs. That was about low typical per year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I used to get my saws hammered in the fall and have new shanks put in for the upcoming winter.  Usually around the 2 MMbf mark.

I never liked the Andrus rotary file.  I had problems with the file pads, and they seemed a little expensive for how long they lasted.  I did have any electric one I used on the vertical edger.  It fit on the saws better than a Jockey.  I normally used a Jockey or a flat file on the head saw.

I did have a Dexter file guide that I liked.  You use a flat file in it, and it keeps your angle really good.  For chrome or carbide, you can get a diamond file.  They're rather expensive.  Dexter file guides are now being sold by B H Payne and cost $255 and includes a couple of files.  You might be able to pick one up where you buy teeth.

Dexter file guide - YouTube
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

For a few years I filed with the dexter, had 2 of them, 1 for 2 1/2 and the other B. When the diamond file came I went to chrome teeth and liked it. When I started to have hand pain I rigged a hacksaw frame to the diamond file. This works very good.  At sawmill auctions I have picked up quite a collection of sharpeners. The Andrus , both hand crank and electric are good but slow. The dexter is fast and accurate. The saw paw Creamer sold me is junk. Also have 3 jocky's, 2 head saw and 1 edger style.  When you first use them you can mess up your angles. Also they are sloppy side to side and can be adjusted for this but it makes them hang up on the shanks.  The trick is to use your eye and feel to center and grind because the jockey is very fast and that is what I use today.

Thank You Sponsors!