iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Eastern white pine, to slab into live edge, or beams?

Started by Upstatewoodchuc, March 30, 2018, 12:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstatewoodchuc

Hey there, please move if this is in the wrong section, I think it fits here. I recently had to drop a 4 lead 100 foot tall white pine, there is enough straightness to it despite being all over the place that I could make some timbers out of it. I was going to use parts for a building I was redoing, but I have access to better and more appropriate hard woods, and a coworker recently told me about money in selling slabs. My question is would I be better off turning this tree (~26" diameter) into slabs and finding buyers (not far from ski towns and seasonal homes), or just make timbers out of it and dimensional lumber to keep? I have no experience in the value of slabs, but from what I hear the bigger ones may be worth something.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

petefrom bearswamp

95% of my EWP goes into 4/4 lumber here unless I get a request for a live edge slab or 2.
I have had an occasion to saw some 6x6 for decoys.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Upstatewoodchuc!

Whereabouts are you located, Upstate NY covers a big area!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Upstatewoodchuc

Greenville area, not far from the schoharie valley! Edit - geez, I just looked, I'm almost downstate compared to you, NY is a big place lol
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tawilson

Upstate and Northern New York are 2 separate places. 😁
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

dgdrls

Upstate, as I learned when I lived "downstate", is Yonkers.  Beyond that it was believed
you fell off the earth or you were in Canada as it was later discovered. ;)

Welcome the FF Upstatewoodchuck.  

D

Brad_S.

Here in the Rochester area I have not had much luck selling slabs of any species but I do sell beams on craigslist for $.80 to $1.00 a board foot. Popular sizes are 6 x 6, 6 x 8 and 6 x 10 for mantle's or decorative faux structural beams as the industrial look is hot right now.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

moodnacreek

In eastern New York state 'upstate' is above lake George.  On the w. pine cut jacket boards to get a wide face and then thick planks [ slabs are what you burn] .  These big round edge planks bring good money and dry quite well in w. pine. Caution; if they are stickered in the sun carpenter bees may bore in.

Thank You Sponsors!