iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harbor Freight $49 Chain sharpener

Started by Jim Spencer, February 06, 2006, 11:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Spencer

I ordered this sharpener and with this low price of $49 I imagine it is worth that if just for teaching me a lesson?
I generally sharpen my chains with a Dremel tool and touch them up with a Pferd file system about every third sharpening.
I have sharpened my chains dozens of times as I use firewood for heat and also own a Logosol chainsaw mill which I have cut probably 8-10,000 Bd/Ft of Oak and Ash.  I ganerally buy 6-8 chain loops at a time from Bailey's so have sharpened a lot.   Dremel works fine for a touch-up but thought I might use this H-F sharpener in my workshop.  I hope I don't have to send it back.

Looking for comments.  Good or bad will all be appreciated.
Jim

Jim Shockey

Jim;
  I have the (Nick the Grinder) from HF and I'm happy with it. I got it when they first come out ($129.00) and I would buy it again if I was doing it over. I have been thinking of the Maxx  and wondering if I could get a better job with it I cut mostly oak and a lot that has been down for a while. Yesterday I was cutting 11' long 30 "  wide  three year old oak and I only got three cuts before my chain needed to be sharpened again. I would like to be able to use another grinder to see if  mine is OK or not.    Jim
Jim

jerry-m

Hi Jim,

I have the Harbor Freight chain saw grinder and have been intending to post a report....

We have a sthil chain saw grinder that we use in our Church diaster relief chainsaw crew...

The sthil is very well made and works just fine doing what it is supposed to do... Very easy to use and if I had the money thats what I would have....

Thay being said I opped for the H.F. because I needed to sharpen a chain to split a log that was to big for my small circle saw... Needed to grind a regular chain to 0 degrees for splitting...

I found that the H.F. grinder to get the job done  about the same....  The problem I had was that the chain stop was sloppy and would move to the side and  I would have to hold it in place on each tooth before I clamped the chain for grinding...  Also the grinder arm with the stone can be moved slightly back and forth if you apply a little pressurer... This was not a problem for me if you consider the price differance.... The grinding stone still looks just the same after I sharpended six chains...  All in all the H.F. grinder is slower so for those in a hurry they would probably not like the H.F. grinder...

Hope this helps,   Jerry
Jerry

Jim Spencer

This sharpener seems to be worth the money.
I have sharpened 2 different chains quite easily and made all teeth 30 degrees and the same length within .005".
Chains cut very well.
Seems to be made from a very tough plastic moulded material.
I think I will be very satisfied if the motor holds up O.K.
Jim

oldsaw

I've been happy with mine.  I don't use it for regular sharpening, that I do by hand, but to covert standard chain to rip.  The keys to success are to take short bites and not to force it because it will flex, unlike the "pro" units.

Used within its bounds, it is a great deal.  I have sharpened a chain with it, and it seems to do a pretty good job. 

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Quartlow

I bought one, sharpened one chain and discovered it was making left teeth shorter than right teeth, fine if your cutting circles I guess  :D Took it back ordered an oregon grinder and haven't looked back since.

The reason I didn't trade it for another I figured if one was miscast the whole lot was. Plus I was less than impressed with chain stop. I heve better things to do than fuss with something that only works half way.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jim Spencer

Quartlow;
I adjust the tooth stop when I go from left tooth to right tooth.
This is not a problem for me.  When you swing the grinder to the other side you will have to make an adjustment.
This is no problem for me.

Bibbyman

Harbor Fright has the Chicago brand chainsaw sharpener on sale for $29.99.  It looks like the stone only comes in one size.

Do you guys think it'd be usable to sharpen a few 404 chains a year?   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 10, 2011, 10:10:54 AM
Harbor Fright has the Chicago brand chainsaw sharpener on sale for $29.99.  It looks like the stone only comes in one size.

Do you guys think it'd be usable to sharpen a few 404 chains a year?   

Bibby I don't know about the 404 chain. I have used one of those cheap little grinders for a couple of years. The one size rock works good on 325 and 375 chain. The way it's set up, I think it would handle the 404 ok. The only problem I have is the body is plastic and it's a little on the flimsy side. If you use it as a touch-up grinder rather than hogging off a whole bunch of metal, it works fine. The grinder part is ok, motor has plenty of oommp, enough to turn the tooth blue if you push it. Use it 3 or 4 times and it's paid for.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

You'd most likely be money ahead to buy a dozen good files from Baileys or something and an Oregon file guide .Anyone can file a chain using the guide .

Bibbyman

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 10, 2011, 01:31:15 PM
You'd most likely be money ahead to buy a dozen good files from Baileys or something and an Oregon file guide .Anyone can file a chain using the guide .

I got the files and two file guides.  Just my old hands and eyes are not up to it.  Too much typing over the past 30 years!

I did go over to Harbor Freight and had the sharpener under my arm ready to go to the checkout stand.  I got to looking at the sample and it looked real flimsy plastic and then I read it came with 1/8" wheel.  I asked the salesman if a bigger wheel could be put on it.  I don't know if he knew but said not.  So I left it there.

I may try a couple of options before I go off and try to sharpen these on my own.  I'm now sharpening our own bandsaw blades and hate every minute of it.
Sawing since '94

Al_Smith

I don't know what to tell about the fingers but my eyes are older than yours .

For me at least it just takes more light especially if I do a race chain but that's a subject all it's own .Those danged things though are tough on the old fingers because of the angles and a guide won't work .

Not to change the subject but somebody made a neat little bandsaw sharpener from an inexpensive saw chain grinder .Forgot   what site .Might have been here .

pineywoods

Hey Bibby, send me a short chunk of 404 or an old wore out one and I'll see if it works on my el-cheapo sharpener. Nobody around here uses 404.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SPIKER

I paid 26 bucks for mine with a 20% off coupon, like others said works well for touch up on my smaller chain.   not sure on 404 though same as others mentions must re-adjust when swing from left to righto n chain stop, cant shove the chain back against the stop (dont need to ) and so far I've done 10 ~20 chains 14, 16 & 18"  and still using the same stone.   I mounted mine on a 2x6 and clamp it in the bench vice...

Motor runs well doesn't vibrate too much and as long as ya dont slam is around works pretty good.   Mine is more than well paid for now...   I do use files between & during cutting often as well.   the sharpener is for when I hit something like barb wire though that chain ended up as scrap I had sharpens 3/4 of it when I rolled it up to find  a broken link :o  so had not tried that one out ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Eljay

I bought one a few years ago and have the same comments as most posts so far. I finally bought an Oregon 411 mainly because the chisel chains I use require a 10 degree back angle. That adjustment is not available on the cheaper grinders. I think that angle improves the cut.
I can't remember if the HF grinder had an adjustment for centering the chain left to right in the clamp. If the clamp is not adjusted to center the particular chain you are sharpening, one side of the chain will always be shorter than the other side.

kenskip1

Bibbyman, I just happen to have two grinding wheels that will fit your grinder. I had intentions of doing more but have since upgraded to another grinder.Send me a PM and I will get back to you. I used th1/4 wheel once and the 3/16 has not been used, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Bibbyman

Quote from: kenskip1 on February 12, 2011, 12:45:43 AM
Bibbyman, I just happen to have two grinding wheels that will fit your grinder. I had intentions of doing more but have since upgraded to another grinder.Send me a PM and I will get back to you. I used th1/4 wheel once and the 3/16 has not been used, Ken

I didn't buy the grinder so I don't need the wheels.  Thanks.
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

But Bibbyman you have the new wm sharpner and setter. they do a great job how can you hate it? I dont see that good,I have to have a lot of lite.better than the old style. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 12, 2011, 06:14:33 PM
But Bibbyman you have the new wm sharpner and setter. they do a great job how can you hate it? I dont see that good,I have to have a lot of lite.better than the old style. :)

I don't hate the sharpener.  I hate shapening blades.   ::)
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!