iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pup trailers, yeah or nay ?

Started by BargeMonkey, March 22, 2018, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Ianab, you kiwis can sure grow nice timber, fast!
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Quote from: Matt601 on March 25, 2018, 12:26:31 AM
In Mississippi I'm running farm tag 55K on my truck that's the most I can tag out a bobtail in MS.
You need to find out if the plate on your truck is covering the weight of the power unit only or if its power unit and any trailer.  Every state is different and many other states wont respect the laws of another *coughbecarefulinNYcough*
In tennessee we dont plate AG trailer at all so every pound goes on the power unit tag.  I think weight goes up to 80k max.  
DOT is gonna be looking at all tiers of compliance.  Total weight not in excess of total tag.   Weight on each part of the unit not in excess of its rating. (Edit: and bridge formula.  Thanks resonator)
Praise The Lord

Resonator

I drove 5 axle semi nationwide, and was registered for 80,000 lbs., and legally drove on any road that did not have a posted weight limit. Check with your state DOT what tags are available for different weights. Like I said in reply#17, measure your total combination length, axle spacing (bridge), scale the empty weight, and what individual weights on each wheels you can haul. (Steers, drives, tag axle, trailer, etc.) You could be legal on gross weight, and still get fined for being over axle weight. (learned that the hard way. )
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Matt601

Resonator Im good on my axle wt with out a trailer. What I,m looking at is if I had a trailer that has front axle and back axles it stands on its own. When I load the truck to max its tag at and rated for could a pull a trailer that does not put any load on the truck loaded to max what the trailer is rated for. Say the truck is rated to 50,000 and the trailer is rated for 30,000 trailer total wt 80,000. Can i pull it loaded? total Wt will be over GVRW of the truck but the load on the truck is not over that. The trailer will have air brakes on each wheel and can stop its self. 

There got to be a reason I don't see these in MS. I have looked all over the net cant find a yes or no. When i get home from work I'm going to check on it. 
No matter where you go there you are!!!

starmac

Matt, I know you can in some states, you will have to check into it with yours. If that is all the weight you want, you only want one axle on each end of the trailer. It counts as a spread, so good for 40,000, IF that doesn't put you over gross.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Matt601

Starmac All I have ever messed with is bobtail trucks on a tandem axle bobtail the drive axle is 20,000 and the rear is 36,000 in the state of MS. So if I did the same for a trailer I would be ok. 

What I got in my mine is building a trailer I can remove with my loader the log boosters and put a flat bed on to move equipment. It might be a pipe dream but something I'm looking at.    
No matter where you go there you are!!!

thecfarm

Matt,I don't see pup trailers in Maine either. I live about 20 minutes from a paper mill and there is a big sawmill about 45 minutes from me.
I use to see some short ones back in the late 70's early 80's,but none since.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!