iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think alot of people don't like to see a forest with alot of dead stuff laying

Started by Rod, February 26, 2005, 09:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric_Jensen

"I think alot of people don't like to see a forest with alot of dead stuff laying around" 

These are the same people that pay the lawn guys to rake up and haul off the leaves every year.  Then turn around and pay the bark guys to bring in mulch.   Maybe even pay an arborist to have their trees treated for nutrient deficiencies 8)

TreeSpyder

Hey Eric!

Locally; our palm fronds may start yellowing, real slow, or in spots, at tips etc.

Sometimes that is from a shortage of some nutrient, the plant is translocating from it's own leaves to keep the lead tip growing.  If we trim these fronds off, more yellow fronds result, as the plant tries to survive, still translocating the scarce elements.  If, we hit the area for lawn, or even for the palm, with some fertilizer, that doesn't contain the needed nutrient; and especially if we have nitrogen in the fertilizer to hop up the green color/spurt in the grass, trees, flowers etc.; we have made things worse.  Now the nitrogen calls for more growth, but in the balance our needed nutrient is now in lower % in consideration of the balance of the elements.  We now have more of a deficiency, perhaps even that were trying to fix with the fertilizer.

According to Star Trek we and all life we know are carbon units.  Bacteria can't make carbon, nor animals, they must depend on getting in some food chain; that gets carbon from the plants.  Plants are the only ones that can draw the essential life building block, from thin air.  Just as bacteria are needed to fix nitrogen byproducts in the soil to a useable source (something that animals or plants can't do); so to plants fix carbon from the carbon dioxide byproduct in the air.  If woods is completely cleaned up/ this carbon too must be remined; to have available to rot and break down and give the essential life compound to the tree/soil associates etc.  Extremes are usually wrong, as they have no buffering zones. 

i think some wood should be left whole, some chipped in the woods.  Anything else is jsut translocating resources from this part of the system, risking it's loss; to move the elements someplace else.  Mimimal impact with our harvesting is best when ya can get it to play out like that! Especially when it can cost ya less to do so!  Changing the tension in any 1 point in a 3 dimensional spiderweb, changes the tension at every point. 

Or, something like that,
-KC
  Sorry for the interuption; we now return you the normal image on your mental tv; with regular programming already in progress.

Rod

here is something I've noticed in my woods.When I get the dozer guy to clear out the logging roads it looks like the trees grow alot faster.I don't know if this is true or not cause I have really haven't did a study on it.But he can drop the 12' blade on the dozer and clear out about 1 mile of logging roard per hour. :D

Ron Wenrich

Your probably getting a strip that opens up the tops and allows for crown expansion.  That will increase your growth until it closes back in.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodhick

Rod I know this is off topic from the post you started :-X, but what part of WV are you located in. ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

bberry

There are a lot of people who think of themselves as environmentalists and wander through the woods and dislike bending over and/or pushing a branch aside. They feel it's up to the land owner to make the forest into a martha Stewart forest with everything prim and proper. No limbs or litter on the ground for them to trip on! What the he** are they doing on our land without asking. Sometimes they ask but then come back and tell you how to manage your forest. I like to tell them to send a letter to God complaining about the blow downs and lightning smashed trees. I wish they would go back to the city. I don't tell them how to manage their asphalt! Some states are passing laws requiring written permission while on anothers property. We are getting these so called environmentalists creating problems when their hidden agenda's are to get their hands on private property. Some are advocating huge new Parks so they can bus in thousands of tourists to see the wilderness. As landowners the time has come to hold out our hands and say the fee for hiking, hunting, bird watching, cross country sking, etc. is 5 bucks of more to help pay the taxes and up keep on the land since it costs more to keep the land than we get out of it. After I put my land into tree growth to lower the taxes the town assessors circumvented the law by raising the evaluation on everything else. This is only commonly done in small towns and state officials know all about it. The paper companies don't own anything else in town so the assessors can't get them. That means a poor working class man in town can't get a profit because the town takes it all over the 50 to 60 years it takes to get a crop of trees. The governor and state officials say get a lawyer and take it to court. Does a poor man have the money and time? Shame on the state officials for allowing a law(tree growth) to be applied by different standards from town to town.

Darin

Kentucky has a very good website on Habitat How To's.
Cavity trees , snag trees, rabbitat, etc, etc.

http://fw.ky.gov/howto.asp?lid=631&NavPath=C108C177

hillbilly

Ive recently kind uf stumbled or fell into a deal where a organization that has unlimited amounts of resources{timber} that needs to be salvaged blowdowns and such like that some dead standing trees or trees that have just started dying .It is a pretty big  varible as far as we would call salvageed timber . They have their own team of foresters to check on things from time to time and mark some of the mature timber that they would like to harvest
            There is alot of small stuff in spots that has fell down or been blowed down over the years and this is some thing that they dont want disturbed they allso want to leave a den tree every so many 100ft for squirrels and such most of the white oak timber is left since it is more hearty and the buggs dont seem to bother it quite as much and the white oak species seem to produce more acorns for the wild life any way.   

Thank You Sponsors!