Sponsors:

SawStop

Started by lowpolyjoe, April 10, 2016, 07:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

The saw is great.  Built some jigs.

First a sled

Aux fence saddle

Tall fence attached to the saddle with elaborate anti-dive push block for making raised panels and maybe to be modified for tenon work.

Extra thick sacrificial fence attached for rabbet work

Looking forward to building something fun  :D

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: 21incher on April 11, 2016, 07:41:41 PM
That is a nice addition to your work shop. Hope you do a review of it after using it for a while. Looks like you built your bench the right height to be a outfeed table. :)

When I was building my workbench I researched the table height of the Sawstop so I could try to make it close to the right height for an outfeed table.   I ended up pretty close.   It's maybe 1/2" too short.

The problem was that my bench has to be several hundred pounds (especially with the lower shelf filled up with stuff) so moving it is a hassle.   This past week I picked up these fancy step/lock casters to make the workbench mobile.   They work very well, although you have to watch your toes when you're dropping the bench back down off the casters. 

I had scrap wood screwed to the bottom of the legs to avoid break-out when sliding the bench around, but I removed it to get the bench level with the Sawstop and then I chamfered the bottom of the legs.  I've read that also prevents break out.

One problem I noticed with the bench as the outfeed table is the lack of miter slots.  I can't push my sled fully through a cut when the table is in position.  I can move the bench out of the way, but it's a bit of a pain when switching back and forth between rip fence and sled a few times during a build.   No biggie.. I don't think I'm gonna cut slots in my benchtop

DansSawmill

got a 20 ft cord and replaced my sawstop cord, can move it all over now
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

lowpolyjoe

Replacing the power cord was my plan but I spotted a small 220v appliance extension cord at HD and picked it up for now - just so I can reach my 220 outlet.   The last machine I plan to buy is a bandsaw.  In order to fit everything in my single garage bay I'm going to have to get creative.  At that point i'll probably need a nice long cord

Thank You Sponsors!