iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabs storage

Started by hopm, July 14, 2019, 04:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

In most of the pictures I see of slabs they have been stored vertically. Is this the best means of storage green off the mill or are they stacked to air dry to a certain moisture content and then moved to vertical for display and sale? 
Thank you in advance for any response!!!

moodnacreek

If you mean planks they have to go on sticks about a year per inch of thickness and then stood up is good.

Mad Professor

Stacked and stickered.  Good air circulation and out of direct sunlight. Drying too fast will cause defects, checks/warp. 

Puffergas

Matthew has videos on this subject. That is if you can find it in the many videos. Maybe:

Lumber Stack Levelers - YouTube

His main page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcremona

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

YellowHammer

Slabs should be stickered and dried like any wood, just half as fast, based on its thickness and species published allowable daily moisture loss rate.  

Everything on a thicker slabs becomes more critical, so details are really important, such as fans to prevent sticker stain for certain species, watching for surface checking, sympathetic bow, copy cat cup, etc.  

Once kiln dried, they should be planed to a uniform thickness, and deadstacked on pallets, to maintain flatness and slow moisture content rise.  

Once they are ready to be cycled for sale, the can displayed in any position desired.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

low_48

Don't forget the borax preventative treatment for powder post beetle. Especially if you leave the bark on!

hopm

Thanks!!! I have always stickered and stacked....I was just hoping a step could be cut out and I might gain some space.

Thank You Sponsors!