iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planting after black walnut

Started by trapper, March 30, 2012, 04:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Got this from my friend. I answered the sticker question and told him I would get the rest of the information about planting apples after removing black walnuts from the pros.  The black walnuts are in Wisconsin not Africa.
Thanks Marv

To: "marvin christensen" <joymarv123@att.net>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2012, 2:32 PM

Hi Marv,

Thanks. What are stickers?

I'm looking at taking down around 12 or so...if i remove the stump...how long you think i have to wait before i plant apple trees? 1-2 years?

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

BaldBob

One to 2 years should be plenty if you get plenty of rainfall to leach out the Juglans poison that the trees put out in their leaves and nut husks.  It will help alot if you remove all Walnut leaves and husks from ground the as soon as possible.

Ron Wenrich

The toxins are also put out by the roots, if I'm not mistaken.  You would want the roots to not be active.  They have a term for it called walnut wilt.  Certain trees, vegetables and flowers are sensitive to juglone.  Apple is one of them.  A couple of years should help leach the soil.  It depends on the soil type. 

Here's an article from Purdue University that may give some insight:

http://www.treeboss.net/juglone.htm

And one from Ohio State:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

trapper

Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Okrafarmer

Don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask, but something I've been wondering for a while-- what species of trees will grow safely with walnuts, and not be affected (much, enough to matter) by the poison? Was wondering if ERC was one, and what others might be.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Check out the articles referenced in Ron's post.  Both articles give you a list of compatible species.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I was wondering the same thing as Okra, there seems to be a little conflicting evidence though as I read the two links, one says lilacs grow good around the walnut the other says they won't.  Only reason I say this is because I planted some walnuts last fall and they seem to be sprouting good but I also have some fruit trees next to them and was wondering if a row of something (such as lilac) between them would help.  I used lilac as an example because my wife loves them.  By the way Okra, only thing around here that will guarantee a good kill on ERC is if you try and plant them in a row  ;).

Ron Wenrich

I would think that the major problem would come in where the rootlets come in contact with each other.  Fruit trees would be ok until the trees get bigger and their roots start to intermingle. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!