iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snake proof boots .. any suggestions?

Started by punking315, April 18, 2012, 11:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punking315

my son is going to New Mexico this summer as a college internship land surveyor for the Bureau of land management. he will be inthe surrounding states also.
we don't have rattlesnakes here so I can't advise him. but I know you folks can help. what is a good snake  proof boot. Also, would snake proof gaiters be better?
thanks for any help.

chris

beenthere

That should be a great summer job. Where will he be located?

I spent a summer in western New Mexico in forestry. The first day we tip-toed around thinking a snake was behind every tree and rock. By the end of the week, we were about as oblivious to snakes as we'd be back in IA. Shortly we were hunting for the rattlers and found that they were very difficult to find and sneak up on. In August, when they shed, we were told to be more careful.

Not sure if NM is the same kind of snake territory as in the SE. But those more expert than I can comment.
No one had snake boots or leggins at that time (late 50's).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

punking315

Quote from: beenthere on April 18, 2012, 11:55:50 PM
That should be a great summer job. Where will he be located?

he's comming home this weekend and he will give us all the details then. I know it will be a great experience for him!

thanks!

WDH

Snake boots are expensive, heavy, and hot as the top of the boots go from the ankle to above the calf.  Very very hard to get on and off.  I have some but never wear them.  The Foresters around here, including myself, use the snake chaps that wrap around your lower leg and attach by velcro and a strap.  They are affordable and can be put on in 30 seconds and taken off in 15.  Takes a couple of minutes to put on and lace on each snake boot.

Here is the kind that I use. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rattler-Snake-Proof-Gaiters-Brown/dp/B002L0QF42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334837611&sr=8-2

Here is a pic of the the Boss wearing them for a walk in the woods when he visited me this week. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wudman

I own a pair of chaps.  I prefer them to boots as they are also good briar busters.  The downside is that they are hot.  I stepped on a copperhead once while wearing them.  He struck....no damage done.  I stepped on a rattlesnake once, when I didn't have them on.  It was 100 degrees that day and I had taken them off.  He did not strike.  If you get a pair of chaps, I would suggest the "husky" size.  I can take them on and off without removing my boots.  With the regular fit, you have to take your boots off.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Texas Ranger

I use the same ones, WDH, get that at Academy.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Yep, those Rattlers are very functional and user friendly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

punking315

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate all of the consideration on this site.

regards

chris

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I had bought a pair of Field & Stream waterproof snake boots on sale last summer for under a hundred bucks. Lace up, but I lace in such a way I can easily slip in and out of them. If need be, I use a heavy rubber band to 'latch-up' tops.

But one thing to consider, if you're in the swamp and wading shallows and sinking in muck, is 15" not near high enough for protection from a big 'ol cottonmouth curled-up on a log. ;D

For all around use I expect leggins would be the best .

Thank You Sponsors!