iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roundup on tree trunks

Started by cutterboy, April 28, 2012, 09:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. Does spraying roundup on the trunk of trees hurt the tree? I have trouble with vines on some of my trees.....poison ivy and other vines. I cut the vines with my chainsaw, but the next year little vines start back up the trees. I want to spray around the base of the trees and on the trunk. Will this hurt the trees?

Thanks, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

woodtroll

I would check the label but I do not think it will cause any problems on larger trees.
It can kill seedlings when sprayed on the buds and thin bark.

Ironwood

I am no application expert, but I do know many of the herbisides are "systemic" poisins, meaning they need to enter the plant via leaf or wound (on bark). I was just thinking about this yesterday as I have just resorted to a kind of Roundup in some areas. I did consider the bottom of one tree, HOWEVER it had an open wound and it would likely travel thru that, so I would assume if no wounds it should be ok, additonally most of these are NOT enviromental "toxins" and if dont not enter the plants system within a day or two, they are rendered fairly harmless. I personally would not use them on my property if they had residual toxic effect.

Ironwood

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wesdor

The owner of Kelly Tree Farm in Clarence, Iowa instructed me to spray roundup on the grass around seedling trees.  He said that with practice you get good at not hitting the tree. I have been afraid to try it but plan to do so on some 5 yr od Swamp White Oak this spring.

I'm hoping that I can keep Roundup off the trunk and of course all leaves.

Ianab

My understanding is you need to get it onto the leaves to kill anything. Any plant you spray that is dormant, it doesn't get into to plants system, and has no effect. Buds or fresh bark on a seedling are probably dangerous as they are still alive, but mature bark is effectively "dead", not connected to the tree's internal circulation, and basically "insulates" it from the environment.

Also, when you cut the vines the first time you can paint the cut off stump with concentrated round up. You will get a lot less regrowth that way. Do it immediately, before the sap starts sealing the cut end, that way some gets into the plants system. This goes along with what Ironwood says about not getting on fresh wounds of your good trees.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

cutterboy

The trees I am concerned with are mature trees with no leaves near the ground. For years I have had vines climbing up the sides of my barns. Every year I would clip them off but they would come right back again. Finally 2 years ago I sprayed them with roundup and they died. Last year only a few vines started up the barns and I sprayed them. I don't think there will be many this year. Now I want to do that to the vines on the trees.

westyswoods

You are dealing with several different issues. As mentioned in previous post for the most part as long as the adjacent tree is mature with no wounds and foliage which can be contacted you should be okay.

Now you mention roundup which is just a fancy name for glyphosate. Many different names but most of all the concentration of the chemical you use is important.

Other herbicides may suite you much better.

Tahoe, Element 4, TourdonRTU  are just a few and have the same base chemical which is more effective in killing unwanted woody species.

Application method and timing are both critical for both efficacy and your safety.

Stump treatment for plants such as poision ivy work well. I not only will cut the large climbing vines on trees, but also take a section right out of the middle close to the ground. Take and treat both ends with a brush or rag. If you are carefull there will be little or no residual on the surrounding environment.

Foliage spray is another option although this is quicker and for large concentrations the carry over can be significant.

A method which works well is what I call leaf wipe. Get a real good pair of chem resistant gloves and double glove up. Wear a large heavy cotton glove over the chem gloves. Soak the cotton glove in a good herbicide consistent with desired results and then wipe leafs with glove. This is much more selective and still gives good results.

Basal bark spraying is another option, for the most part this is done when nutrients are translocating to root system in the fall of year.

I don't claim any expertise, the above are suggestions from what I have used and found to be successful on our property.

Educate to efficacy of chemical being used.
Carry over and or translocation of chemical to surrounding plants.
Be aware of volatility of the product as many have very severe drift properties in certain weather conditions especially if sprayed.

Hope this helps in some small way

Be Safe
Westy 8)

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

ArborJake

Round up is called localy systemic. Meaning it absorbs through the leave's. I spray it over top of our evergreen transplants and seedlings every spring and it doesn't harm them so long as they are dormant. You can go ahead and spray the base of your tree's any time. Some broadleaf weed controls like 2-4-D are actually systemic and can be absorbed through the roots if apply often enough but round up wont.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Norm

I use it for spraying around our fruit trees and young shade trees. Try to keep it off the trunk but I'm sure I've gotten some overspray and not had any problems with it. I'm not sure it would be very effective on the vines you are trying to kill unless they had freshly cut ends for it to be absorbed into.

wmrussel

I'm of the opinion that cutting the vines and painting the ends is the most effective control.  I've done this on muscadine vines, red bud tree stumps and oak tree stumps.  I never returned to check the oaks, but it worked great on the muscadine and red bud. 

If you decide to spray, it won't hurt the tree as long as it only hits the bark. 

I know I'm repeating everyone else, but thought that the more concurring opinions you hear, the better. 
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

cutterboy

Thankyou all for your help. I've been away from the forum for a while because of family matters.....happy family matters, my son's wedding and family visiting. Things are just getting back to normal.

I like the idea of painting the ends of the vines. I think I will do that to the big vines and I'll spray the leaves of the new little vines that are just starting up the trunk of the tree.

Thanks again, Cutter

Thank You Sponsors!