iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford V-10 vs Powerstroke Diesel

Started by pappy19, November 05, 2009, 11:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Anyone running a 6.9 ISB Cummins? Curious on MPG.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

Pappy,

Just to be clear, I agree with you that unless you are putting over 30,000 miles a year on your truck, a gas job is a smart choice and the v-10 has enough snot to pull most things most places.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pineywoods

Quote from: Ironwood on November 09, 2009, 08:46:43 PM
Anyone running a 6.9 ISB Cummins? Curious on MPG.

Ironwood

04 dodge 3/4   21 22 mpg, worst ever 17 mpg pulling a trailer loaded with logs, stop and go driving.. The newer ones don't do quite so well----epa emissions stuff
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ironwood

Piney,

the one I am looking at is in a FL/FC-80 series Frieghtliner w/ a 6 speed Eaton tranny. I would think the truck will be slightly underpowered w/ this combo, but I hoping to go down the road at 65-70 mph empty. Did htey put the same engine in a pick up?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pineywoods

Ironwood, I mis-read your post. the dodge has the smaller 5 liter  305 hp cummins. I have a 35 ft motor home with the old 12 valve 5 liter  11-12 mpg. I think the older ones without all the epa junk will be in great demand.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Toolman

Those EGR systems they added to the diesels are mileage killers. Diesels need good clean air coming through the intake, not sooty filthy air.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!