iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw!

Started by vinc5d, November 15, 2014, 08:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinc5d

Hello everyone I am quite new here to the forum, but I was wondering is someone could give me some help. my dads birthday has passed this month, and my brother and I would like to get him a new saw! he already has a bigger saw (372xp) and he uses a smaller saw for liming and smaller trees, unfortunately his old saw fell off our skidder and was crushed! so we are looking for something around 30-40cc with about a 16" bar, it doesn't need to be anything special because it runs the risk the last saw took! I was thinking about husky or an echo? we never liked sthil plus I heard their new saws are garbage! if any one would like to recommend one? what would be the best saw for us?

vinc5d 
Echo Timberwolf 590, poulan 3314

ladylake

A Echo Cs400 is a real nice saw but the limiter caps will need to be pulled and tuned by either a dealer or you, with a muff modd and tuning these saws really cut good.  They are light at 13# ready to cut with a 16" b@c . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

husky2100

Husqvarna 346xp or a 550xp is a good limbing saw

mad murdock

If he is prone to running them over and he is just bumping knots and a little clean up limbing with it as a "Skidder saw", cheap out on a wild thang, that way if he runs it over again it is no big loss. I have one and it is amazinglingly a decent runner for what I use it for. Mainly cutting slabs into firewood.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

vinc5d

The last saw was a old husky 55, seen many years on the skidder. normally he has a homemade saw "clamp" beside the gearmatic winch but I guess he was in a hurry and he placed it on the canopy and with the steep grade we were logging on it slid out before he noticed! he wasn't very pleased he loved that old saw! Murdock he does do some bucking with the "limbing" saw, he did use it for smaller diameter trees too. but I think I would like to dish out the money and buy him a saw that is a bit better than the poulan.
Echo Timberwolf 590, poulan 3314

mad murdock

In that case then, I second second an echo. Nice saws and more bang for Your Hugo from what I have seen, over buying a Stihl or husky.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

7sleeper

I understand it's not on the menue but seriously think about including the Dolmar 421 in your choices. Definately a saw worthy of your dad! Pricewise around ~300$ for a pro built saw.

CTYank

Dolmar 5105 would be a good candidate, too. Just another proof that you don't need to take out a mortgage for a "pro" saw.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Brandon1986

If you're talking throw away saw anyway a small Stihl can't be bad.  I would stay away from the smaller huskys as they are made by poulan anyway. In my area I can go to any pawn shop and get a decent used stihl for fairly cheap. I got a ms290 for $125 a couple years ago.  So good saw (for a stihl) close to the same price as a crapper "wild thang" keep your eyes open lots of deals out there

GAB

I don't own one so I can not speak from experience, however I was told that
Poulan was pronounced Pull-On.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!