iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raining, what the heck.

Started by starmac, January 17, 2018, 01:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Man you guys complained so much about a little cool weather down south, we warmed up to 25 degrees and it rained this evening.
What a freaking mess, the next thing you know, the café will be trying to serve grits.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sandhills

Well you just gotta find that bright side don't ya  :D  :)

sawguy21

We are only too happy to share the wealth. :D About the same here with snow and freezing rain, there won't be much off highway hauling going on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

WE just went through a bunch of rain and about 2 feet of snow melt and temps in the high 40's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tgalbraith

With all the crazy weather all over the world, I'm starting to think somebody is trying to tell us something! :embarassed: :'( :-\
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Magicman

11° this morning here in the Deep South, but a forecast for 68° Sunday.  We got a couple of inches of Snow yesterday so everything is White.  My only planned activity for today is to bring some more wood in for the fireplace insert.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Mmm grits and a cold morning! Snowing here in Charlotte and expect a couple inches.

Magicman

Pat is making a pot of Hambone Soup, but I guess that belongs in the Food Board.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Well that rained turned to snow after it totally slicked everything up, and we woke up to 6 or 8 inches of fresh southern style snow.
I checked, but the pantry was fresh out of grits, we do have the makings for that hambone soup though. hmmm

WV Sawmiller

Starmac,

I thought all cafe's in Alaska served grits. My BIL lives there in Anchorage and his favorite breakfast hangout there certainly serves them.

We drove around AK for about 2 weeks a couple years ago and I saw at a minimum it was settled by rednecks. We saw many high end homes all over the country with a couple of cars and loads of equipment and maybe a mower or two lost in the waist high grass and brush in the yard. I felt right at home. They obviously never throw anything away. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

I do not know of any of the local eateries that have grits on the menu.
As far as rednecks, yup there are plenty of us here. You can buy most any kind of food stuffs, one thing I do miss is you can not buy fresh okra here.

tree-farmer

No okra! No grits! You poor buggers, I cannot even imagine such deprivation. Maybe some of the southern breathern can send a aid package. :laugh:
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

starmac

I reckon them grits would probably survive the shipping in tact, but finding a use for them once received would be challenging to say the least.

Fresh okra, would not be so fresh by the time I got it, I can buy frozen okra locally, but that stuff just doesn't cut it, it is better to go without.
We have started getting packages of okra in some stores that iirc are called okra bits, they look like pods of okra that someone has stomped on for a while, not sure what they are for, maybe gumbo seasoning or something of the sort.

thecfarm

Quote from: tree-farmer on January 25, 2018, 04:57:58 PM
No okra! No grits! You poor buggers, I cannot even imagine such deprivation. Maybe some of the southern breathern can send a aid package. :laugh:

I imagine it and see it every day of my life on Gordon Hill in Chesterville Maine.  ;D
No known address.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

Cfarm

I worked with a crew out of Oregon and Washington that had never eat fried okra, fried squash, or even catfish, if you can imagine that. When I mentioned hushpuppies, things got real quiet, till I explained what we were having.
We stayed in travel trailer parks, and before the season was over they would bring all the picnic tables to my trailer, where my 2 fish fryers and two barbque pits were set up and eat supper at my place every night. If I was not extremely careful when I finished cooking I would not even get any squash or okra, it would be GONE.

petefrom bearswamp

Isnt okra that green slimy stuff?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Andries

Its raining on my okra here in Manitoba too.
Really.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

starmac

Some folks boil it (maybe a yank thing) I like it slice, rolled in cornmeal and fried. Others like it boiled (slimy) or pickled (nasty).

Thank You Sponsors!