iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next project...Heart pine crib doors

Started by Brad_bb, July 30, 2017, 10:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm going to build a set of double doors for the furnace room of my new shop.  The shop is a timberframe with a 2nd floor loft much like a barn and the furnaces are up there.  Since they need to be louvered, I remembered that in the old corn crib on our farm

there are 3 louvered doorways to ventilated the corn storage to the center drive through isle.  My grandpa covered two of them up with plywood probably in the early 70's when they stopped using the crib for whole ears.  He had also removed louvers from two of the openings.  Now there are two left.

I'm going to make the furnace room doors based on this louvered opening.  The good thing is, those slats are heart pine.  They were leftover T&G from something.  Farmers reuse everything you know...
Here is what they looked like with all the dust before and after I wheel brushed them.

The problem is that two of the slats were common pine and one slat was missing.  So I have to find some more 1x heart pine.  I have 5 pieces of 2x6 heart pine barn rafters for making the frame, but it's not nearly as clear as the slats, and I don't have a bandsaw to resaw for pieces.  So hopefully I can find some extra 1x heart pine somewhere....I think it's going to look neat though.  It will look like the old corn crib up in the loft of the shop/barn.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SlowJoeCrow

Wow what a difference that wheel brush made.  I'm not familiar with that wheel brush, could you post a few more pictures of it?

Crusarius

That looks like something that would be great for steel as well. I am curious.

Brad_bb

Makita wheel brush/sander 9741.    You can order it with Nylon abrasive wheel -fine, medium, or coarse, or flap sanding wheel in various grits, or wire wheel. I use the medium  Nylon impregnated abrasive.  It's gentle enough on barnwood that it won't remove the patina but will clean all the dirt out and depending on the wood, may give it a polish.  Wire wheel is to harsh for most wood unless you are trying to get an effect where you want to remove soft grain and leave hard grain for that effect.

The wheels are expensive - $178 for the medium Nylon abrasive, but they do last a long time and I think you get your money's worth out of it.  If you get one, make sure you get the wheel you want with it.  You don't want to have to order it separate at the high cost.  I've seen them on Amazon, and Timberwolf tools.  I'm betting with Timberworld you can specify the wheel?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Sawmill_Bill

Brad,

If you have a 10" table saw, you can resaw at least 6 1/4".  Set the fence, raise the blade to about 2" and saw both edges by flipping the board end for end, raise the blade and repeat until you have resawn all the way through.  You may have to remove the guard, so be careful.

Thank You Sponsors!