iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut wane grading rules?

Started by Larry, April 22, 2006, 09:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Can somebody explain how much free wane I'm allowed for FAS1F walnut?  I'm getting myself confused on the length and location. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Can you post the wane rule for which you are needing the translation ? 
If I recall correctly, it is different from the standard NHLA rules for wane allowance.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Pieces 6' and 7' long, 5" and wider admit wane along the edges not exceeding in the aggregate one-sixth the length of the piece, or its equivalent at one end or both ends, not exceeding one-half the thickness of the piece, and not exceeding 1/2" in width in 1/2" to 3/4" lumber; 3/4" in width in 1" to 2" lumber and 1" in width in 2-1/2" and thicker lumber.

The green is the part I'm having trouble with.  Do I get one-sixth on just one edge or both edges?  Does the wane have to be at the end of the board?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Norm

I sure understand your confusion Larry, when Dustin taught his class on grading we spent quite some time on just walnut as it was so much different than all the rest. It's been some time since then so I'm no help but wonder why walnut is so unique in the rules. Around here I have trouble moving walnut to the retail market. Not much demand. Now cherry and hard maple is another story.

Larry

When I went to the short course couple months ago the Chief Inspector only spent two hours on walnut.  Think he is going to come back this fall just to teach the walnut rules as there is a lot of interest around here.  Supposed to be a two day course if we get him back.

Supposition...so long as the walnut baron's are in control the rules will remain the same as they were 100 years ago.  Better get back to counting my knot holes. ;D :D ;D :D

Ron Wenrich

1/6th in the aggregate, means a total of 1/6th.  So, if your board is 6' long, then you're only allowed 1 ft total wane.  My reading of the rule is that it means only on the ends, no wane in the middle.  It can be on either end or both.   

What is the width specs on wane? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gary_C

Norm

I feel the same about Walnut, no demand.  However the large mills are fighting over Walnut stumpage right now.  At recent Minnesota DNR Timber sales, Walnut stumpage sold for over two dollars a bd ft.  ???

There must be some demand somewhere.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

I was walking home from work Friday and noticed a strange truck parked in the drive. Patty was talking to the driver and said lets go look at some walnut when I came up to them. Thinking to myself this guys got one next to his house he wants dropped for 5k I went into my ashole voice and said I don't need any walnut.  :D

Turns out an old friend of ours brought him out and he had 20 walnuts he'd taken out of a old field. I sent him to the local veneer buyer that buys sawlogs too. He will get at least twice what I'd offered and I was too tired to mess with it myself after a long day at work.

Thank You Sponsors!