iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitters

Started by MReinemann, August 29, 2011, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Was a big discussion over o. Another board about the DR...with factory rep jumping in and defending DR...

My experience...local small engine mechanics won't mess with DR...say they are almost impossible to get parts out of.

I am pretty leery of anything that is marketed as heavily as DR...much like ronco...it slices, it dices, it splits wood!
Nahh.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

paul case

you mean ''set it and forget it''?????    pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Qweaver

I bought one of the Huskies 6.5 hp, 22 ton units at Tractor Supply.  It splits fine but it is slow.  It's OK for a home user but it would be tough to use to make money with unless you don't care how much your time is worth.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawman

Stopped by our local tsc yesterday, and they had a speeco flywheel splitter there with a 2.5 sec cycle time, had to use both hands to operate it,push release button with one hand and hit lever with otherhand. If I remember correctly if you released button, the cycle would reverse at that point.
 I think price was 1699.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

sawguy21

You do not want a hand anywhere near the wedge when it starts to move. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 02, 2011, 11:22:07 PM
You do not want a hand anywhere near the wedge when it starts to move. ;D

Or on the other end.

I used to be able to say "I'm always very careful about where I put my hands when splitting".

As of June 2, 2011, that was no longer the case. Not sure how it happened, but I got my left index finder caught between the log and the anvil. I basically "popped" my finger open, and slightly cracked one bone. Stopped just in time to avoid shattering the last couple of bones in the finger. 14 stitches, looked pretty gruesome for a while. I'm left handed, but like many lefties, I'm somewhat ambidextrous, so I got by OK while it was healing. Signing my name was a tough one, however.

It's healed up pretty good now. Still a bit limited on range of motion. The one upside is that my finger is a pretty good predictor of coming storms now... it aches a good bit when something is brewing.

If I'd been using one of the flywheel type splitters, I'd be limited to giving people the high "4 & 1/2" after that. (Believe it or not, I'd still go for a SuperSplit if I could justify it. Wouldn't go for a DR Products RapidFire on principle, since it sure seems they just robbed SS's design.)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!