iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

El Meter

Started by Peter Drouin, February 12, 2017, 09:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

The smart one on my house, The other side of my bedroom wall, Will it make you sick with the radiation it gives off? Any one know about it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

pabst79

If you mean a meter socket with the little radio transponder so the Elec company can read you remotely, I don't think they give off any more radiation then AM/FM radio. I do wonder if sleeping near my mobile devices is good for my brain or what's left of it. :D
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Peter Drouin

With all the new stuff out there who knows, A thing I saw on the web, Like having a microwave running 24/7.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ox

I think since the introduction of TVs and other later gadgets we're all getting bombarded with radiation of some sort.  Even living near the high lines with the magnetic stuff happening around them can mess some people up.  But, like most things a lot of this stuff only affects a certain few people, not the majority, so who really knows?
Have you been feeling different or concerned because you read something about it?
I remember reading about them and people were so ticked off about them that they were saying that the device was spying on them and listening to their conversations and all this other weird stuff, so maybe this is just some of that?
I figure everything around us with all the electricity running through our walls basically making a grid of electrical magnetic waves has to be doing something, right?  I never really studied it though.  There's many things that make me go hmmm.
What about the wireless signals running through and around us all the time?  I'll stop now before I go off the deep end. :D 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Don P

Wrapping the headboard in tin foil ought to throw that radiation right at the invading alien spaceships. A win-win. 

Ox

Just so you know, Don P, there's been studies about this stuff.  Scientific studies with scientific results.  It's there to be read if someone wants to look it up.  Most of us just don't care to get rid of all our manmade stuff and so just ignore it.  Perhaps you remember the talk about cell phones putting radiation into your brain from holding it up to your ear?  Same thing, really.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

pineywoods

Them smart electric meters are nothing to be concerned about. No radiation of any kind normally. They are a "polled" device, just sits there listening until it gets a signal from a meter reader. Then it sends out the meter reading in a short burst, less power than a cell phone..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

I think radiation is a bit of an overkill. Just look at the  Chernobyl disaster.
All the wild life is doing great around that area. Not what everyone expected.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/060418-chernobyl-wildlife-thirty-year-anniversary-science/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brucer

There was a big fuss when they set out to install them in this area. The utility gave homeowners the option of having the radio turned off, at a cost of $10 per month. A human would then come around to read the meter.

I looked into it and decided the health risk wasn't that great. The radio transmitter (at least on our meters) sends the signals outward from the house. When ours was installed 3 months ago I asked the installer how that would work if the meter was facing away from the receiver. He told me that each meter has a unique identifier and the radio signals actually get bounced from meter to meter through a neighbourhood until they get picked up by a local receiver. This is what allows them to get away with much lower signal levels.

As he was explaining this we were both looking at the surrounding forest, and before I could comment he said, "I have a feeling this isn't going to work out here."  Turns out he was right :D :D.

So two months ago a meter installer came around to read the meter. He had a fancy computer to do it and he just sat in his truck with the window down and pointed the computer's receiver at the meter. After several minutes he muttered a curse, got out of his truck, and came down to hold the receiver up to the meter. He looked at the meter for a couple of seconds and then commented that it hadn't been "synced to the network", whatever that means. He messed around with his computer, got a reading, messed around some more and then told me he'd managed to sync the meter. "Probably won't have to come out here again," he told me. Wrong ::).

Last month I was home all week when the meter would normally be read, and no one came by. So I figured they were able to get a remote reading. I just got the bill last week and it shows the reading as "estimate". Out of curiosity I had a look at all the different readings that the meter shows on its little screen (none of them showing the actual electrical consumption) and I saw the magic words pop up -- "No Sync".

The saga continues ...

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

There's certain level of both ionising and radio "radiation" all around us, all the time. Like there is this big thermonuclear reactor that floats across the sky every day. Pretty much everything  in the environment is slightly radioactive, including our bodies. Bananas are one of the worst because off the potassium isotopes they contain. Same for radio frequency radiation. Every thunderstorm is creating huge radio signals. The local lightning tracking stations pick up strikes in Australia by the radio noise they make.

So when people talk about any radiation, they are really meaning, "how much EXTRA radiation". If you get slightly more than normal, nothing bad seems to happen, and it's about as bad as eating 2 bananas instead of one.

Now sitting in a Microwave oven or moving to Chernobyl is probably a bad idea, because there is 100s of times more radiation, and it gets to the level where bad things do happen. But when you say, "oh no, there is 20% more radiation than normal, we're all going to die..." That's just silly. There are cities in the world where the background radiation is 2 or 3 times "normal" because of the type of rocks in the ground, but the residents don't suffer an ill effects from it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ox

This is like the info I just read a few weeks ago.  It basically said that everything...that is EVERYTHING...in this world is poisonous.  To remain safe we need to be in control of the dosage.  It made total sense to me.  Too much oxygen, water, food, anything material will kill you.  I don't see how too much sleep will kill you.  Is sleep really a material thing anyway?  Does anybody have an idea of what too much of won't kill you?  Think extreme.  I think that too much sleep CAN kill you, because if you're sleeping you're not getting nourishment or water, therefore in a theoretical view it can kill you.  As in, if you could theoretically sleep for a week straight you'll die from dehydration.  They say you'll die in roughly three days without water.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Anybody think I'm crazy yet?  :D  Well, if you think I'm crazy:  The voices in my head tell me that you're crazier than I am!  ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Don P on February 12, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
Wrapping the headboard in tin foil ought to throw that radiation right at the invading alien spaceships. A win-win. 

I think i'll just wrap my head and ill be good to go. 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

And here I thought this was going to be about something spanish lol

Ox too much living will kill you, everyone dies, but to die, you have to first have lived.  So that's my answer lol

Boy, back in my day..

clearcut

I'll just drop this off here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100713035022/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

QuoteOn the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:

An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2
17 Feb 2005
1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

Abstract

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ox

An actual study on aluminum foil helmets.  Bwahahahahah!!!

4x4American

Quote from: clearcut on February 13, 2017, 07:30:02 PM
I'll just drop this off here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100713035022/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

QuoteOn the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:

An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2
17 Feb 2005
1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

Abstract

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!