iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up a corley 395

Started by jopoff1981, September 06, 2015, 02:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jopoff1981

Hi I am new on here and I just picked up a Corley 395 last weekend. It has a 471 Detroit. I am gonna set it up in the next few weeks and hope to be sawing soon. Any advise is appreciated

jopoff1981

I'm also wondering how much I should be able to saw a day.

smwwoody

production depends on what type of support equipment and how much labor you have
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

beenthere

How much you can saw will depend a whole lot on you and your help. As well, your equipment available for getting logs to the mill and lumber, sawdust, and slabs away.

If you haven't already seen it, here is a good circular saw booklet with many facts...

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jopoff1981

I plan to hire someone to offbear right now I have a backhoe with forks to move logs and slabs and unload the trucks. Just wondering if a load a week is possible I plan on buying poplar logs I have a friend in some real big nice poplar. And have another friend with a trucking company to haul for me.

Corley5

Log quality means a lot when it comes to production.  With good logs and support equipment two guys on the tail end would be kept busy.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

jopoff1981,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

I had a similar setup when I started out, but my support equipment included 2 mill hands.  One ran the edger and offbeared, and the other stacked lumber and ran loader.  I did a trailer load of 8' poplar in a day.  Typical production was about 5 Mbf/day.  I cut grade and pallet blocking.   Longer lengths would shorten the time to do a trailer load of logs.

I would be putting in an edger if you don't have one.  It will be better efficiency.  I'd also look at something other than a backhoe with forks.  They're not designed to move lumber, logs and slabs.  I don't think you'll be able to reach high enough to unload trucks and get the logs over the bunks.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jopoff1981

I'm wanting to rent a knuckleboom until I can buy one. I definitely need an edger too. But I will have to make sure with what I have for now

Thank You Sponsors!