iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leaf id's

Started by Dave H., September 26, 2016, 01:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

my daughter is doing a leaf projects for ffa. most id's were easy but i got some im second guessig on.
im using audubon tree guide and internet. most are just leaves no bark pics sorry.

1. hickory ,shagbark or mockernut(i think mockernut)all leaf sets i seen were 7.bark looked more like oak

2.redoaks;  top is red oak(unknown) bottom is turkey oak?

3. thought this was red maple.

4. is this red maple.

5. southern red oak?

6. hawthorn(there were thorns along branches)

ive got more ill put in a new thread.

curdog

Mockernut will have a hairy twig and a large hairy bud. The twigs are really stout as well. The hairs should be pretty obvious,they will be a brownish tan color.

The red oaks could be southern red, or cherrybark...

Yep on the red maple. The margins have serrations and I think I could see a red stem on one of the leaves.

I'd go with hawthorn as well, as to which one....I'm not sure, there's a few

WDH

Yes.  If mockernut, the leaf rachis (stem) will be tomentose (hairy or fuzzy).  Mockernut has leaflets in 7's.  Pignut and shagbark have leaflets in 5's. 

All the oak leaves are southern red oak, Quercus falcata.  Notice the round, bell shaped leaf base. 

Yes on red maple.  Red maple is serrated between the leaf lobes, sugar maples leaves are smooth between the lobes.

Yes, hawthorne.  There are only hundreds of species and varieties.  A difficult species group. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!