iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picco chains

Started by rasawing, June 04, 2019, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasawing

I was thinking about getting one of those Picco chains for my saw......but I am not sure what it would take to sharpen it. I normally use a small Dremel motor with a stone on the end. But I'm not sure if this would be adequate for these kinds of chains. Would this suffice? 

HolmenTree

Should work for you just fine if that's all you ever used.. You'll need a 5/32" stone.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

rasawing

Thanks. That's a bit smaller than what I normally use. (I.e. 7/32". My manual calls for 13/64 for a regular chain. But I have a hard time finding them anywhere.) 

HolmenTree

Picco .375" chain is not full size .375
Its tiny chain.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

rasawing

Thanks. Just to be sure we are all on the same page.....this is the product I am talking about:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/specialty-saw-chains/pd3/

I want to put it on a MS 660. It says "must be re-sharpened with a formed diamond grinding wheel". 

Never used one of those before. 

lxskllr

You'll need a compatible sprocket and guidebar also. Although it's 3/8 pitch, it's different than full size 3/8.

I haven't heard much good regarding the duro. Ok for filthy coarse work, but doesn't cut as well, and more difficult to sharpen.

rasawing

Thanks for the feedback.

Caloren

You are talking about carbide teeth on these chains. Your small stones will not touch them, neither will a file. I have a friend who is a Captain in a fire department and they use carbide chains to cut through any type of roofing, metal, tile, composition, etc. When dull they have to be sent in to a facility to have them sharpened with the a fore mentioned stone.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Mad Professor

You will need a 3003 mount stihl bar with 0.050 groove and picco sprocket, also a picco rim or spur drive sprocket. Regular 3/8 won't work with picco 3/8 chain.

I run picco on my CSM 066

Mad Professor

The picco chain I run on my 066 is PMX milling chain, hard to find and expensive.

The OP wants to run carbide cutters, that is going to require a diamond sharpening system.

Why need carbide cutters?  Even with those if you hit something hard enough they will break.

Al_Smith

Carbide won't cut as good as regular chain .It's a gimic for people who don't like to file or grind chains .I had a sales lady try to sell me a loop for a Stihl 200t  just as the dealership owner came to the counter laughing .He kind of said,hon this guy is no weekend warrior,he knows me alright  :D

Thank You Sponsors!