iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM shingle/lapsider worth the investment?

Started by SawyerBrown, April 13, 2014, 04:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

For any of you guys that do mostly custom sawing, do you have one?  If so, was it worth the investment?  i.e., do you use it a lot, or just minimally? 

Any and all advice appreciated.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

highleadtimber16

I got the cheaper one. It was $1200 I think. It's nice to be able to offer the bevel siding option to customers. I don't bother with shingles. I cut about 2000-4000 lineal feet per year with it. I wouldn't get it until you had a specific job for it. No point in spending your money to have the thing sit around.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Chuck White

I've got one, I bought at half of the new price!

I have it to offer in the event I have a customer who wants lap siding or shingles!

Haven't used it yet, but knowing it's there is nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Klicker

I have one and have used it once or twice every couple of years.I have had it for six years.
2006 LT 40 HD

steve marek

I have one and use it custom cutting I use it about 3 times a year works great nice to be able to offer the service
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Barney II

I have one  and used it for shingles for my own use and it was good.   I also made   some lap siding and used two spacers and really worked good.   To buy new---nope  8)
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

yukon cornelius

I bought ez boardwalk shngle and siding attachment but ive never used it. i plan on using it this summer. it was $700 new and I don't see why it wouldn't fit on another brand mill.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

giant splinter

I bought mine with my mill and have used it mostly for siding and a few times for shingles, it is a nice addition and for beveled siding it is fast.
roll with it

backwoods sawyer

I have a home built one and use it very little but I don't advertize that I have one either. I mill out enough cants to do the job before setting it up on the mill, the extra handling adds time to the milling operation and custom work is done hourly. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

SawyerBrown

Thanks, y'all.  There's a used one for sale up in Michigan, really nice shape, been trying to decide whether to invest just to have it, in case I get some interest.  But it sounds like there isn't much demand out there for such a thing, I suppose if they're going to use lap siding or shake-type shingles, most people will just go to the big-box stores and buy it.

Again, thanks for your input ... right now I think I'm going to pass.

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

GAB

I purchased a used one and have only used it for my veggie stand.  I used the same shingles for the roof and the siding.
For the roof I used 7" reveal and for the siding I used 10" reveal.
Chuck do not wait until the last minute to use it as for me it was going to college again.
You need to use two different set points to saw shingles.  In my case I used 5/32" and 17/32".
The thing I dislike about it is the amount of waste because you can only go down so far because of the clamping system.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mjl_2007

I bought one at an auction a couple of years ago for $100. Haven't used it much, but well worth the investment!  ;D

Klicker

The problem with box store clap boards is around here you can only get it in 6 inch. Most of my use has been for 9 inch to match heritage houses. I was asked to make some 9 inch before I got it the person doing the reno could not find it any where someone told hime to come see me as I would try anything. After we got done I decided if I was going to make it agin I would have the right gear to do it.  8) Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

Chuck White

I don't know for a "fact", but I've heard that lap siding can be made using a resaw!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

Jim H

I have the older style re-saw with rollers, I've made lapsiding with it by tilting it and feeding 1 1/8 boards through to make two pieces of siding. Most of what I've done with it has been regular flat re-sawing. On the newer style belt fed re-saw I think you can change the belt out with one that has cleats to tip the cants for making shingles.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

customsawyer

I have the belt style resaw and it would work for making lap siding. I haven't had a call for it but I have it if I do.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

36 coupe

The Thomas clapboard maker was included with the mill when I bought my mill.It had a 200 buck price.My sons house needs about 5 grand worth of factory clap boards.I have sawed cedar and poplar clapboards.Check the price of clapboards at the lumber yard.Plastic clapboards are all the rage now.They do fade an fall off.Thomas has a new clapboard system now.

Larry

A few years ago I built a resaw to fit on my old Kasco.  Object was to saw beveled cedar siding for my house.  Didn't saw a lot with it, but it would run 600 square feet an hour and not break a sweat.

Last summer I jury rigged it on the TK and ran 5,000 square feet in a couple of hours.  It's capable of 86 square feet a minute with the feeder on high.  Not sure if the saw could keep up...maybe with a 100 horsepower on the TK. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!