iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood HD36 or Wood-Mizer LT15

Started by 50 Acre Jim, June 04, 2017, 12:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: dgdrls on June 06, 2017, 09:44:21 PM
I voted,
have you had a chance to test drive each of them??

D
No sir, I have not.  But I have talked with everyone I can find, read everything I can read and watched every YouTube video available.  A couple of years ago I watching a fellow mill some Hemlock for me but at the time owning a sawmill never crossed my mind.  I'm in Franklin NC so if anyone (reasonably close) wants some free help for a day, PLEASE let me know!  I'm 65 but I can work rings around most young men. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

fishpharmer

50 Acre Jim, not sure about Norwood, if you call Woodmizer, they can connect you with someone willing to let you see their LT15.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: fishpharmer on June 07, 2017, 08:37:46 AM
50 Acre Jim, not sure about Norwood, if you call Woodmizer, they can connect you with someone willing to let you see their LT15.
Actually a friend of mine here in town recently bought an LT15 wide and I've been over to look at it.  He's been going to show it to me in action but his tractor is broken and can't load a log until he gets it fixed.   I know Wood-Mizer has a superb name in the industry and their resale value is great.  But that being said, I've heard some good stuff about Norwood as well.  For some reason, and it's probably just personal preference, I'm leaning toward the HD36.  I spent an hour on the phone with Dave Boyt (a member of this forum) who has graciously given his time to answer all of my questions and share his experience with me. (He's probably a Norwood plant lol )

But from what I know so far, I like the size of log the HD36 will accommodate and the width of lumber the mill produces.  The ability to add reasonably affordable hydraulics and options are a big plus in my book and although I don't need them to get started, I anticipate I'll have them before this is over. 

As this thread grows to an end I want to thank all who have offered their input, suggestions and experience in helping me make this decision.  I'm a member of many different forums but I've not see the equivalent to the extent that this group has offered up their time.  I know you all have lives to live and I sincerely appreciate the time you've taken to help me.   I hope the experience I gain from this upcoming adventure will be something I can share with others and that I can be as much help to someone in the future as you all have been to me.

brett KI

hi Jim, i've had a Lucas mill for the past 12 years, and recently purchased the LM29. i have these mills side by side in the plantation. my advice is, "go on holiday". spend your money on something you will enjoy. shouldn't be so harsh. but compared to the lucas mill, it has been nothing but trouble. serious advice will be to ask the dealer the prudent questions about running cost. blade life, costs, time sharpening. what you see in the picture, is not what turns up, there is considerable setting up. in my case, there was some 200 pieces missing. you need to make sure suitable compensation is in place for machines that turn up incomplete. Lucas mill don't send a mill out without testing it first. perhaps this is a question you should ask your dealer.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: brett KI on June 08, 2017, 07:14:31 AM
hi Jim, i've had a Lucas mill for the past 12 years, and recently purchased the LM29. i have these mills side by side in the plantation. my advice is, "go on holiday". spend your money on something you will enjoy. shouldn't be so harsh. but compared to the lucas mill, it has been nothing but trouble. serious advice will be to ask the dealer the prudent questions about running cost. blade life, costs, time sharpening. what you see in the picture, is not what turns up, there is considerable setting up. in my case, there was some 200 pieces missing. you need to make sure suitable compensation is in place for machines that turn up incomplete. Lucas mill don't send a mill out without testing it first. perhaps this is a question you should ask your dealer.
So I'll put you down as being on the fence?   ;D  If 200 pieces were missing I'd have to think perhaps an entire box was lost somewhere along the line?  I know there's a lot of parts, I hate that but it-is-what-it-is, right?  Can you give me an idea of what kind of issues you had with it?  Sound like the wood gods had it in for ya. 

drobertson

Jim, I have to repeat my view and that of others, that a hands on really is pretty important.  Getting a feel of how they work, up and down, and down the bed, it is a big decision with some what of an investment.   watching a video can be helpful, but not like in person.  Hoping you get a chance to get the mill you want and like,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

derhntr

Here is my take. Bite the bullet and buy which ever mill you decide on and buy it equipped with everything you think that you may add to a basic mill frame. You will be much happier that way. I will save you time, money and you will enjoy your mill features quicker and your back will thank you. ;)
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Mentos

I have a brand new WM LT-15GO and i do not regret it especially when i look into other mill how they are constructed.
There is a lot of small feature on the wm construction to me that are better made might not be big deal but over time it could be what make's it last longer.

I know Norwood have been around for long time but to me personally their bed is a bit on the weak side (I personally don't like the plate where the log sit on, if you wanna slide a log on it you might end up bending them)

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: drobertson on June 08, 2017, 11:56:40 AM
Jim, I have to repeat my view and that of others, that a hands on really is pretty important.  Getting a feel of how they work, up and down, and down the bed, it is a big decision with some what of an investment.   watching a video can be helpful, but not like in person.  Hoping you get a chance to get the mill you want and like,
Found a fellow about an hour away who has a manual 2002 Wood-Mizer with 350 hours and he is asking $10K.  I'll call WM tomorrow morning and get their opinion on resell value and then I plan to drive over and see it run. 

My gut tells me $10K is a little on the high side for a 15 year old sawmill, especially when I can get a brand new Norwood HD36 for the same price, but we'll see what WM says in the morning.

Magicman

Which model LT  and what options does it have?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Magicman on June 11, 2017, 04:24:56 PM
Which model LT  and what options does it have?
Model?  I thought LT40 was the model?  No?  It's not "wide" if that's what you mean.   Only cuts a 28" log.  As for options, none.   :-( 

Too much at $10K ???

Magicman

I did not see where your Reply #33 listed the LT model number.  You did not mention LT40.   smiley_headscratch

Now a 28" maximum log is another mystery because what I see listed with a 28" max. is the LT15.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Magicman on June 11, 2017, 05:55:56 PM
I did not see where your Reply #33 listed the LT model number.  You did not mention LT40.   smiley_headscratch

Now a 28" maximum log is another mystery because what I see listed with a 28" max. is the LT15.
My sincere apologies Magicman, I had mentioned it was an LT40 in a PM with another forum member and it was stuck in my head.  As for the 28" max diameter, that came from the current owner.  Maybe he's wrong as well.  But he's supposed to put a log on tomorrow and show me how it works. 

Magicman

OK, and no apology is necessary.  :) We are good.    It will saw a 36" log and the blade will raise to ~34½" above the sawmill bed.

The maximum width between the blade guides on an LT40 is 28", and it will easily saw through a 24" cant.  Some manipulation can be done to saw 28" live edge which I regularly do. 

The base price on a new LT40 manual is ~$28K.

Dave Shepard

If that mill has been cared for, I think it's definitely worth $10k.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ga Mtn Man

Magicman, did you mean to say the base price for an LT40 hydraulic?  According to their website WM no longer sells an LT40 manual.  The LT35 manual is on sale for $15K.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I should have said $28K+ for their cheapest LT40, and yes, it is hydraulic not manual.

MbfVA

Couple of thoughts to add:

One – it's too bad you missed the Norwood sale which went off on the 9th of June.  I'd ask about an extension but good luck.

Two – I think that width & other specs of Wood-Ms have changed over the years without the main model numbers changing (it may be in the suffixes), that's based on seeing spec representations in advs for older wood mizers with the same model numbers as contemporary machines.  Some that now only come  equipped with hydraulics, used to be available without hydraulics.

WM owners will know more than I do but that is what I have noted during my recent extensive shopping.  Bottom line: ask lots of questions of a used seller and ask for a clear focused photo of the model/serial plate so you can em or call the mfr for better specs (some sellers either don't know or just are not concerned with details, if those are important to you).

I was impressed with both the WM & Norwood products but felt the NW was a better buy for my purposes (and I like putting things together, too), though I wound up with a 3 year old Peterson WPF swing blade mill instead.

I may turn back to a band mill purchase if our needs increase with time.

The NW rep told me they  generally have another sale sometime in the latter part of the year, I think maybe around Christmas time.  WM has some deals going on some of their mills & accessories, through 31 July.  You did not mention swing blade but some of them have deals on now, too, free stuff, discounts, etc.  Pays to shop around.

Another fast observation: I have been told, and I believe it's true, that there is much more competition, and better pricing on the nonhydraulic mills.

On our Peterson mill, just picked up Sunday, my seller was very well versed, gave a super demo using a poplar log, not the usual pine or cedar I was used to seeing with others (softwood makes things go a bit easier when you are pushing), to me.  Along with his brother, son and a friend, they helped me load the machine in my pickup bed for travel.  Wish they could be my neighbors, but OH is a ways from VA.  Wish they were here to help unload the carriage head from my too tall Super Duty.

I also found out he was Peterson's photo/videographer at the last Sawmill Shootout in 2015.  He was selling due to being slowed down by an accident, very tough for him.
www.ordinary.com (really)

MbfVA

I  would also agree with the other poster that comparing the HD 36 to the LT 15 is probably not a level comparison.  Read and study specs, videos and talk to users.

I would not overlook the upgradability of the HD 36, though the sale they just had was 15% off for options but only if bo't with the mill.  There are always catches.

For me, if I were still considering band mills and didn't have the 5 ft slabber capability of the SB mill that I just bought, I would want something that would saw at least a 24 inch board, besides just the log capacity of 36 inches.  Countertop, and related, width.
www.ordinary.com (really)

hawker

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 04, 2017, 12:22:39 PM
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my sawmill next week.   The short list is Norwood LumberPro HD36 and the Wood-Mizer LT15.  I'm just getting the basic saw mill with no hydraulics.  Wood-Mizer ships partially assembled (big plus) and is $500.00 less than the Norwood (another big plus!).  Other comparisons are listed below:

Norwood HD36

23HP engine
    36" log diameter
    28" board width
    13' log length

Wood-Mizer LT15

19HP engine
    28" log diameter
    23" board width
    17'8" log length

I've pretty much got my mind made up but I'd like to see which mill you "seasoned users" would choose.   Thanks for voting!

Hi there Jim

I'm also about to push the button on the same choice.

What did you end up doing?

My heart says Norwood for bigger logs

My Head says WM for bigger options later, when I upgrade I will upgrade to a bigger better machine. But my mind is still not made up.

I have a LT15 demo coming to my farm tomorrow for a demonstration, I can't wait

I sure would love to buy the demo unit.
Soon to Purchase a manual band saw mill

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: hawker on July 18, 2017, 12:51:55 PM

Hi there Jim

My Head says WM for bigger options later, when I upgrade I will upgrade to a bigger better machine. But my mind is still not made up.

Hi Hawker and welcome to the forum.  I bought the Norwood HD36 Manual.  I thought it was a good machine for the money, handled a large log and can be upgraded to hydraulics when/if I later decide to go that way.  I got it a few days ago and have been in different stages of assembly ever since.  It's been raining a lot here so I've had to work between storms but I should have it ready to go this afternoon.  Well, all except for going to town to get the battery charged, that will have to wait until tomorrow. But aside from any unforeseen challenges i should be cutting my first log tomorrow! 

I will say that the assembly instructions have been pretty darned good and I'm actually quite surprised, given the complexity of the machine.  When you first look at all the boxes it's a little overwhelming.  But read the directions and watch Dave Boyt's youtube videos, which walk you through the entire process.  Suddenly it's not so bad.

BTW, a big THANKS! to Dave for making these videos.  They are really a big help! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB4z62cQS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDR_0K-spvY

plantman

I personally wouldn't buy a mill until I knew every inch of it and how well it was designed . Anyone can put a nice paint job on a piece of steel and make it look pretty but will it stand up and perform over time.
Secondly, what are you looking to saw ? It's tempting to want to buy a new toy but make sure you are buying something that will suit your needs and the wood you have in your area. Some people are sawing 21" pine all day. Others have 4' oak.
If you have big logs thrown at you all day then you might want a swingblade mill. The swingblade mills tend to cost quite a bit more but it's all about your needs and what you expect to do.
Here's a nice band mill I was considering but not sure even their big mill is big enough for the logs I get.
http://www.ezboardwalk.com/home

hawker

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 18, 2017, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: hawker on July 18, 2017, 12:51:55 PM

Hi there Jim

Hi Hawker and welcome to the forum.  I bought the Norwood HD36 Manual.  I thought it was a good machine for the money, handled a large log and can be upgraded to hydraulics when/if I later decide to go that way.  I got it a few days ago and have been in different stages of assembly ever since.  It's been raining a lot here so I've had to work between storms but I should have it ready to go this afternoon.  Well, all except for going to town to get the battery charged, that will have to wait until tomorrow. But aside from any unforeseen challenges i should be cutting my first log tomorrow! 

I will say that the assembly instructions have been pretty darned good and I'm actually quite surprised, given the complexity of the machine.  When you first look at all the boxes it's a little overwhelming.  But read the directions and watch Dave Boyt's youtube videos, which walk you through the entire process.  Suddenly it's not so bad.

BTW, a big THANKS! to Dave for making these videos.  They are really a big help! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB4z62cQS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDR_0K-spvY

Great Jim, I ended up buying the LT15 that the rep demo-ed to me. It was a brand new machine anyway. and it is a metric polish version with auto up and down and auto chain lube.

I'm away for a bit, but will get proper sawing in 3 weeks time.

We ended up putting a 720x620x4600mm(28"X24"x15') 80 year old Oak (i'm not sure of the exact species) and this is the reason I bought the LT15, I never want to do that again. I don't want to handle anything that my log loaded can't load on it's own. So I went for the cheaper option, also WM is a little more common here in RSA.

I'll see for a few videos on the massive oak log.

HD36 or LT15 I'm just happy i'm a sawyer now.
Soon to Purchase a manual band saw mill

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: hawker on July 20, 2017, 07:14:02 AM
Great Jim, I ended up buying the LT15 that the rep demo-ed to me. It was a brand new machine anyway. and it is a metric polish version with auto up and down and auto chain lube.

I'm away for a bit, but will get proper sawing in 3 weeks time.

We ended up putting a 720x620x4600mm(28"X24"x15') 80 year old Oak (i'm not sure of the exact species) and this is the reason I bought the LT15, I never want to do that again. I don't want to handle anything that my log loaded can't load on it's own. So I went for the cheaper option, also WM is a little more common here in RSA.

I'll see for a few videos on the massive oak log.

HD36 or LT15 I'm just happy i'm a sawyer now.
Congratulations!  Looking forward to hearing from you as you learn all about you new mill!

saltydogs

Love the 3 phase electric motor option and rs2. Too the lt15 has an easy to install power feed. WM overnighted (on 2 seperate occasions) electronuc instruments that were faulty upon unitial install. And even though i was out of mu initial warranty timeframe. No charge for any of it.
Lt15e10l
Epilog Helix 60 watt laser. raster engraving and vector cutting
Legacy Explorer CNC 2d/3d raster carving and vector cutting
Woodmizer LT15E10L sawmill w/ RS2 resaw attachment and power feed.
State of the art wood working shop!!!  Saltydog Woodworks @ fb

Thank You Sponsors!