iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl Cap Designs.

Started by westyswoods, February 15, 2012, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKDoug

The recall is 3 years old. It's not for chainsaws either.

junkfxr

I absolutely despise those caps but what are you going to do. I was chasing a factory rep around at a logging show complaining about them a couple of years ago and he finally said that the reason that they're keeping them is because that Mr. Stihl likes them. It's bad enough that I've dumped mix and oil down my pants legs a couple of times but what really set me off was filling one of my back pockets full of mix from a back pack blower once and again from a trimmer. Maybe that's why they're not on blowers and trimmers anymore. Another problem that I have with them is that it's impossible to clean off the saw around the oil fill cap before taking the cap off. There's not enough room to get the little soft bristled paint brush in there that I use. Ever get one of the old caps "out of time"? It must pretty bad when the owners manual has instructions on how to get them back in time. I only have one saw left with the non flip caps and have never had a minutes problem with them. I don't get it when people say that they like not having to use a scrench to take the caps off to put fuel and oil in. I keep the scrench with the fuel and oil all of the time, check the chain tension at every fill up.

Al_Smith

This thread was started about 2 years .Since that time there has been a lot of learning about the flippys .

The basic problem is the fact the ethanol in the gasoline causes the buna-n o ring to become hardened somewhat and hard to compress .A new o-ring will fix the problem .

Man o man this flippy cap thing is getting about like the oil wars .It never ends .

Jeff

I've spilled gas on myself one time real good because of the design. I've not spilled gas on myself since because of the design.  If I did it more than one time, it would be my fault. It may happen again, but it will because I did not give it the simple pull test after closing that I know I must. Takes a portion of a second to do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

caveman

The best thing that ever happened to the pole saw that I use with the special gas cap was to have the gas tank crushed by a limb after pinching the bar.  The replacement tank had a screw on cap.  It was frustrating enough to convince me that I am not smart enough to operate a Stihl saw.  Maybe next time I can bash the bar oil tank.
Caveman
Caveman

TheTexasRAT

I have a 290 that I got around 2 years back, long after any recall problems.

I do not know if they changed the design of these caps since I got mine, but the only problem I had with a gas cap was that it leaked fuel once I started the saw. It did this for a couple of days and then stopped leaking, and has not leaked since. I am not sure why it did it, but me thinks it might have something to do with the fact that I have a habit of using compressed air to clean the saw once I get it back to the shop each day. I must had blew something out of place, and after a couple of days it reset itself.

Other than that one instance I have never had any problems with these caps. I think they are the best thing since our Heavenly Father created women.

I will admit that it took me a couple of times trying t to put the caps on for me to come to an understanding "all you gotta do is properly line the cap/plug with the opening before inserting and then do the simple twist and flip. 

As far as overfilling the oil, I learn to stop doing that back in the old days with the screw-on filler caps, as it would cause the oil to come out and get all over the saw and make it messy. If one leaves the oil level down enough space for the cap to have room the oil does not get pushed out and make a mess. And although it was by chance that I happened to stumble upon this understanding, if/when applied the problems go away.

All and all said after the short learning curve I love these flippy caps. I am so glad that I do not have to use a screwrench or channel-locks to refill any more!
[Disclaimer: although I love these flippy-caps and highly recommend them - always be sure and keep spares at hand as they've been known to @$#%% now and then. Oy!]

giant splinter

I must be lucky, I have never had any problems with these caps. they take a little getting used too, lining them up correctly and keeping everything clean is important. I think it is a good design and I like the way they work. ;D
roll with it

Yatt

Not all flippy caps are created equal.  They are either awful or awfuller, (is that a word)

My neighbor has a pole saw I use frequently.  The caps cannot be replaced in less than 60 seconds, sometimes 2-3 min. to get them to seat.  Don't tell me I am not smarter than a flippy cap as these are crap. 

I have tried the ones on display saws and they seem to work OK on the floor demos but that still doesn't make it a good idea.  How a flippy cap can in any way be better than a threaded cap with an O ring is beyond my comprehension. 

Flippy caps are Stihl's answer to something that was not a problem. :(

I buy Husky's now.  My new 562XPG has the new threaded cap with integral handle.  Works fine and if you don't like it, you can put in conventional.  Now that is common sense, not engineering. 8)
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

Thank You Sponsors!