iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Strangmoor"

Started by Ron Scott, March 18, 2001, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Anyone know what a "Strangmoor" is? Only 11 strangmoors are known from Michigan.
~Ron

Bill Johnson

When you consider that I live and work in the claybelt region of Ontario you would think I'd recognize the term strangmoor. (wrong)
I did however take a workshop on plant life in wetlands, and using the material provided managed to find out that strangmoor is a synonym for string bog.
A string bog is a common taiga landscape consisting of alternating low bog ridges and wet sedgy hollows. The ridges and hollows ore oriented across the major slope of the peatland at right angles to water movement. It is more properly termed a fen since it is usually fed by waters from outside the mire.

Definition is courtesy of ARCSS atlas glossary.

See Jeff I told you, I learn something new everyday.

Thanks Ron, I finally get to use some of the reference material accumulated over the years.

Bill

Bill

Jeff

A new guestion for my quiz! Thanks
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Bill,
You are correct. I thought that you might be the one to answer it. Its a landform unique to far northern latitudes where climate favors peat formation and flowing water abounds. Of the 11 such areas in Michigan, the largest is outside the Seney National Wildlife Refuge in the Upper Peninsula.
~Ron

timberbeast

Would this be similar to a cranberry bog?  I've seen cranberry swamps on TV,  but they look nothing like the bog I occasionally hunt in,  for one thing,  it's wet,  but not under water,  and has what my dad called hummocks,  mounds of moss close together,  but there are cranberry bushes.  For trees,  just some punky balsam and a few tag alders.  A hundred-yard walk in there is a real good workout!!
Where the heck is my axe???

L. Wakefield

Any idea why the ridges would be ACROSS the major slope, and across the flow of the water? Do you think it is from uplifting of land that was earlier oriented a different way? (unlikely) Or did Sasquatch have 4-wheelers and like running crostways to the hill? Seriously, what would make it be like that?           LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bill Johnson

Now that is an interesting question. Why are they oriented across the major slopes and at right angles to water movement?
I'm going to ask a few folks I know, to see if anyone has an idea.
If I find out any interesting tid-bits I'll let the forum know.
Bill

Bill Johnson

More on string bogs,and its probably more than you ever wanted to know.

String bogs develop as a result of different rates of peat accumulation. String bogs have pools of water between ridges of peat accumulation.
The decomposition rate is greater in the hollows than it is on the ridges.
This still doesn't explain their orientation, but gives a little insight as to how they are created.
Bill
Bill

Ron Scott

The McMahon Lake Strangmoor located in the UP is 1770 acres located in north-central Luce county, 15 miles north of Newberry, MI in the Lake Superior State Forest.

The largest known Stragmoor in Michigan is also in the UP outside the Seney National Wildlife Refuge. It displays the longest strings known.

The far northern climate favors peat formation.
~Ron

Jeff

Is peat simply a moss? or a combination of organic materials.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Johnson

8)
Jeff:
Peat is generally a mix of decomposed organic materials that have accumulated under conditions of excess moisture.
There are also several different varieties of peat.

Source:ARCSS atlas:Glossary

Man oh Man the stuff you learn here.
Bill
Bill

Ron Scott

Peat is formed when decomposition of plant remains is inhibited by the presence of excessive moisture.
The nature of peat depends on the type of vegetation from which it was derived and the environmental conditions under which it was accumulated.  

Muck is then organic soil material, usually having a relatively high mineral content, which results from decomposition of peat.

These are classed as Hydric soils and yes, this can get quite complicated. Thus, the reason for many different kinds of wetlands and there functions.
~Ron

RavioliKid

Bill,

I seem to remember that there are peat bogs near St. Catharines, ONT. Am I remembering correctly, or did I make it up?

RavioliKid

Bill Johnson

Not too sure, I'll have to ask one of the "southern" boys in the office. I myself once I get pastthe height of land (artic watershed) I start to get nervous there too many strange things in that part of the province Toronto being one of them.
 :D :D
Bill
Bill

RavioliKid

Bill,

That be true!

:D
RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!