iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I "use" my wetlands

Started by Don P, March 30, 2001, 10:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Sorry Ron, I realized this is even more off topic than normal for me. :D
What I call wetlands here are caused when something is across the drainage. On my land this is a ridge of upturned granite near the bottom line. The plants down there tend toward willow, sawgrass, ironweed and the like. The creek has meandered thru that area losing momentum and dropping silt after rolling down the hill.  Gray stinky soil,its an excellent place to lose a tractor. Got out one time on old carpet, not exactly geo-textile but..
Your description of a string moor brought to mind several cases where I've seen the areas like mine dammed at each ridge raising that ridge to a consistent 8 or 12 foot dam using what was the bottom of the wetland I'm sure. A series of  several ponds where once there was a string of marshy drainages.  
A fishpond would be a nice thing...what is the real cost though?

L. Wakefield

Honestly I don't see this as a bit off-topic..of course I am warped by the fact that half of my woodland is swamp and the other half is ledge..If you approach the subject with a multi-purpose viewpoint, it is totally reasonable to take note of and want to promote the desirable characteristics of wetlands.

The restrictive legislation continues to proliferate on these, and is NOT driven by balanced viewpoints. Protection of endangered species does not seem to take into account that one of the species here is homo sapiens- and while we are not endangered, we should also be considered.

'Wetland' around here is a red flag for any kind of engineering attempts to-uh-redistribute or arrange the 'wetness'. One has the choice between permitting efforts and 'finesse'. I had a few things I wanted to do- puddle-duck pond with wild rice, modification of streambed edges to encourage overhangs for trouts to shelter..haven't gotten beyond the talking stage, but I've already seen the flags come out..      LW

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Scott

Yes, State/Federal permits etc. are needed before any alterations of wetlands can be legally done. Good planning and engineering is required depending upon type of wetland pond to be developed. Fish ponds are usually more expensive and more difficult to construct than simple wildlife ponds or "watering holes".
~Ron

Bill Johnson

I think the reason you see so many "red flags" going up regarding work on wetlands it the because of the potential for long term detrimental impacts on down stream users. And the risk of inadvertent destruction of critial wildlife habitat, especially fish habitat.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!