iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Seedlings!!

Started by Jeff, August 16, 2001, 03:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

TREE SEEDLINGS OFFERED FOR PUBLIC LAND PLANTING

LANSING--The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, in partnership with the National Tree Trust, is offering free tree seedlings to volunteer groups for planting on public land next spring.
      Grant requests of 100-500 seedlings will be considered. There are 19 different species available, and the trees must be planted on public lands, such as state or local parks, school grounds, cemeteries, public golf courses, roadsides and community gardens. The application deadline is September 14, 2001.
      Trees do more than beautify. Studies indicate that trees in community settings not only decrease air and noise pollution, but also reduce crime rates. Communities with plenty of trees generally have higher property values and realize decreased cooling and heating costs.
      This community tree planting project, now in its second year, was designed by the DNR and National Tree Trust to educate more citizens about the benefits of trees as well as encourage volunteers to take part in community service projects. Last year, more than 1,200 volunteers planted nearly 14,000 seedlings.
      For a community tree planting application or further information, contact Ada Takacs, Volunteer Coordinator, at 989-275-5151, ext. 2049.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

Cool!

I do love FREE!

And, my school has a nice area for some trees. 150-200 might be a lot, but maybe we could split them with another school.

Thanks, Jeff!

RavioliKid

CHARLIE

Great idea Rav! The school at which my wife works (don't want to end a sentence with 'at' when addressing a teacher ::) ), has a small forest next to it which the students maintain. The students have built walking trails, put in some bird houses and planted wild flowers in an ajoining meadow to attract butterflies. The children (K through 6) really enjoy that little forest. It isn't a large area but deer are seen in there from time to time. I say GO FOR IT RAV!! 8) 8) 8)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

RavioliKid

Thanks, Charlie!

I am doing a presentation called "Kindness Counts" next week. It is about teaching children how to help perpetuate a civil society. I am going to share the info about the free trees. Maybe I can get some other teachers and schools interested in the project.

RavioliKid

Jeff

Rav, this is a good place to try out the spacing calculator on the Timber Buyers Network.

You can guesstimate how many trees you will need and how close they would be together if you have some idea how large your planting area is.

The calculator links are at www.timberbuyer.net/toolbox.htm

Did you know that on one acre, even if you space rows 10 feet apart and trees are 20 ft abart you still need 218 trees??

RavioliKid

Yeah, but how do you figure out how much land you have in the first place?

:)
RavioliKid

Tom

well Rav,

You can average about 2 mi. per hour in the woods so just count the number of days it takes to walk around around your place. A mile is 5280 ft. so you break that  up into square feet.  An acre is 43560 sq. ft so then you know how many trees to buy. ::)

For folks that think in different size inches here are some terms of land measurement.

Link = 7.92 inches

Rod = 16-1/2 feet = 1 Pole = 5-1/2 Yards = 25 Links

Chain = 66 Feet = 4 Rods = 100 Links

Furlong = 660 Feet = 40 Rods = 10 Chains

Mile = 8 Furlongs = 320 Rods = 80 Chains = 5,280 Feet = 1,760 Yards

Square Rod = 272-1/4 Square Feet = 30-1/4 Square Yards

Acre = 10 Square Chains = 43,560 Square Feet = 160 Square Rods

1 Vara = 2.778 Feet = 33.33 Inches

Foot = 12 Inches = .36 Vara

Inch = .0833 Feet

Arpent = 191.833 Feet = 30 Toise = 30 Compasses

Square Arpent = 0.84628 Acres

Acre = 5,645.376 Square Varas = 1.1834 Square Arpent

Labor = 177.136 Acres = 1,000,000 Square Varas

League = 4,428.4 Acres = 25,000,000 Square Varas. = 25 Labors

:D                                                                               :D

CHARLIE

Tom, I think what Rav is saying.....is.....she doesn't know if the school board will allot any land to create a forest. They might have land but are thinking of things like a new baseball field or another building.......  Also, my wife's school (6th graders) planted some young seedlings. The janitor didn't like it 'cause he had to mow around the trees and that took him too much time. He complained to the Supt. and he was going to let him mow the trees down. Donna went nose to nose, toe to toe with him and the end result was that the teachers and students trimmed around the trees. So the trees are still growing and the janitor is happy. End result was a win/win. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

timberbeast

Rav,  not sure if "how much land" is the latter or former as to posts,  but you can borrow a GPS from just about any hunter (I'll send you mine to borrow if you want),  find a corner,  establish a waypoint at the corner,  walk to the next,  establish a waypoint,  etc.  When you get all four corners,  the GPS will tell you the distance between waypoints,  and you can calculate the acreage from there.  1/4mi.x 1/4 mi = 40 acres.  Be aware that consumer GPS units are only accurate within a few yards.  Or you could do like my dad did and use a compass and a tape measure!!  Good luck!
Where the heck is my axe???

Ron Scott

Rav,
You may want to get some assistance from the Kalamazoo Conservation District Forester. He could set up project, calculate acres, # of trees needed etc.

Ben Wehrspann was the CD Forester there, but not sure if he still is.

Call their office at:
219 Paw Paw St,; Suite 2A
Paw Paw, MI 49079
(616) 657-4030
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

I do compass and pace.  For me, 35 steps is equal to 100 feet.  This has to be adjusted for slope, underbrush, etc.  I find it to be pretty accurate for any type of woods work.

To find out how many steps it takes per individual, tape out a distance of 100 ft.  Then simply walk the distance counting steps.  It should be a natural stride.  Do it several times to get a standard result.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RavioliKid

You guys!

Well, I guess I'll have to give this a little more thought.

I hadn't thought that maybe they wouldn't LET me plant the trees. Gee, that's the first thought that I shoulda thunk.

Well, the deadline isn't here yet. I have some more time to figure things out.

;)
RavioliKid

Jeff

Rav,
 I have a feeling you think all us tree guys are sitting around our computers right now grunting like Tim Taylor on tool time.  

Uwuhh...Uwuhh...Uwuhh... Plant some trees Uwuhh...Uwuhh...Uwuhh... Do it this way... Uwuhh...Uwuhh...Uwuhh...

Tom

Yeah,  Big Redwoods  uwuhh uwuhh, Sequaia  uwuhh uwuhh  big pines and cypress uwuhh uwuhh 8)

40 horse dibbles, D8 cats,  uwuhh

I just had a brainstorm.....back up  I'm dangerous,

In our county there is always a project going on to beautify a roadway or park with trees.  Trees are the politically correct way now of taking care of disturbed areas like expressway exits etc.

Lacking the permission to put trees on your school property, which may happen, I'll bet you could get one heck of a ball rolling by offering to let you students be responsible for planting trees on one of these construction areas that your city government is dreading to decorate.  They don't have to be timber trees,  they could be flowering trees.  The good part of it is that you could probably get pictures in the paper, signs put at the site, the students names recorded and the city will ultimately be responsible for the maintainance.

How 'bout that?

RavioliKid

Good thinking, Tom!

Actually, we do have a fairly large campus here, with a rather bare slope that I think would be good for planting.

But, we'll have to see. There is construction going on at Western Michigan University. Maybe they'd like us to do some planting.

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

I did my presentation on how to teach (and why to teach) kindness in school today.

I spread the word about the trees, and several people looked interested. I hope they follow through on it.

Also, I spread the word about the Tree of Hope. Jeff, the people responded positively to the cards. I think the color made a good impact.

We'll see how it goes!

RavioliKid

Jeff

Great Rav!

BTW, your historic tree certificates are in the mail!  Ada Takacs really came through for us. Can't wait to see some pictures of the future historic tree grove!

I have some for our town too, I hope I find interest here!

Tom

Rav,
have you got a copy of the presentation?  I'de at least like a short version to read.

There are three things not taught in schools or in most homes today, politeness, respect, or Patriotism.  I miss the society where all three existed. :(

RavioliKid

Sure, Tom, I'll give you my hand-outs. They don't really say what I told everyone, though.

Kindness counts!

Brain research proves it.

Send me you address, if you want my papers.
 8)
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Jeff,

I got the certificates! This is so cool! I can't wait to get moving on it. Planting trees will tie right in with our first semester theme of "Change"

WOO-HOO!

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!