10-30 blades

Started by Nomad, November 13, 2012, 11:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Anybody got a print of the blade for a 10-30?  I'm going to try a different saw doctor, and the blade I showed him is the first swing blade he's ever seen.  He's asking for a drawing to make sure he's using the right bits, grind, radius, etc.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

logboy

Can you just order the teeth from Baileys and give them to him? I did that so my local guy could match. Otherwise you might have luck just contacting Lucas for the specifics, or bring in a new blade for them to examine.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Nomad

Quote from: logboy on November 21, 2012, 01:54:31 PM
Can you just order the teeth from Baileys and give them to him? I did that so my local guy could match. Otherwise you might have luck just contacting Lucas for the specifics, or bring in a new blade for them to examine.

He swears he can supply the carbides, regardless of what size they are.  Sigidi gave me the diameter of the blade (so he can get the proper tip radius) and all the pertinent sharpening angles, so I think I'll be okay.  But as you say, if all else fails I've still got a new blade I could bring him.  In fact I may just do that anyway.  That way when I pick up the first blade we can compare apples to apples together.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

logboy

QuoteBut as you say, if all else fails I've still got a new blade I could bring him.  In fact I may just do that anyway.  That way when I pick up the first blade we can compare apples to apples together.

I brought a factory blade in, and I'm glad that I did.  My local saw doctor was jumping up and down trying to tell me that it was incorrect the way Lucas makes their blades (despite him never seeing one in action, or ever hearing of a swing blade mill). I told him what he thinks about how Lucas makes their blades is irrelevant,  if he can't do it the way I want I will take it somewhere else.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

beenthere

QuoteI will take it somewhere else

And hopefully that is what you are going to do. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Quote from: logboy on November 27, 2012, 12:38:35 AM
QuoteBut as you say, if all else fails I've still got a new blade I could bring him.  In fact I may just do that anyway.  That way when I pick up the first blade we can compare apples to apples together.

I brought a factory blade in, and I'm glad that I did.  My local saw doctor was jumping up and down trying to tell me that it was incorrect the way Lucas makes their blades (despite him never seeing one in action, or ever hearing of a swing blade mill). I told him what he thinks about how Lucas makes their blades is irrelevant,  if he can't do it the way I want I will take it somewhere else.

Yup.  This company has been in business forever and they're supposed to be as good as they get, but he's having a hard time understanding why the radius is so important 'cuz he's never seen a swingblade mill before.  I've got some tips on order; should be here in a couple of days.  Then we'll see if he can match them or not.  And I'll bring him a brandy new blade to compare measurements and angles.  In a past life I was a machinist.  If his apples don't match my apples, I won't have any problem 'splaining the discrepancies.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19