iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine dried in the house?

Started by purple otter, March 29, 2016, 10:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

I am planning on buying 400 BFT of white pine this weekend from an Amish mill near me. It will be used for wrapping some LVL beams to make them look like old solid beams . My plan is to sticker it in the dining room for three weeks in a plywood box with a fan and a dehumidifier inside. Any chance it will work or am I going to ruin my lumber. I can't find any places in western NY that have kiln dried white pine so I have to go this route. Thanks for any help from the guys with experience.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Ianab

If the pine is air dried already then you should be OK. Be aware the pitch wont be set, so it's possible some will bleed out of the wood later, but if you are going for the rustic beam look this shouldn't be a disaster.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the humidity in your home increases, this is a bad idea.  If the dehumidifier keeps the RH at the appropriate level, it will work ok.  Due to insects with hardwoods, it is not a good idea for those species.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

purple otter

Thanks for the input. Looks like its time to build a solar kiln! I think 5x13 so I can dry 12' material, I rarely saw anything longer than 12'.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Thank You Sponsors!