iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cross Ties On The Gulf Coast

Started by Samh200, June 23, 2008, 09:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samh200

Hello friends, just wondering how I can go about finding a buyer for oak cross ties down my way Ms, and about what thy worth? I can even do my own trucking/shipping.

THANKS, Sammy

Tony

Welcome Sammy,

Good to see another Mississippian on board here at the FF.

Don't know about South MS but up here we sell them to Somerville Tie Co

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Radar67

Hey Sam, I'm just a little north of you. I haven't looked into selling ties but I'll check around.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Samh200

Thanks guys for yalls help...Tony would happen to have a contact # on them?

Radar67

I've had no luck at all finding a tie buyer.  :(  Have you checked with your county extension agent? He may have some local contacts for you.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

wwsjr

Sammy,

Sommerville has yard in Tupelo and Gross and Jaynes has yard in Amory. I will see if they have any other yards closer to you. A few weeks ago, 7" X 9" X 8'8" was $21.00 each. They also buy 7X9X9'2", price ???. Not sure if they are buying the longer switch ties. At one time they were buying up to 20'.  I will check further and let you know.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Samh200

Quote from: Radar67 on June 24, 2008, 10:16:51 AM
I've had no luck at all finding a tie buyer.  :(  Have you checked with your county extension agent? He may have some local contacts for you.

Thanks Radar for your help... I will check with my county extension agent to see...

Quote from: Tony on June 23, 2008, 09:37:25 PM
Welcome Sammy,

Good to see another Mississippian on board here at the FF.

Don't know about South MS but up here we sell them to Somerville Tie Co

Tony   8)

Would you happen to have a contact # for them?

Quote from: wwsjr on June 24, 2008, 02:08:32 PM
Sammy,

Sommerville has yard in Tupelo and Gross and Jaynes has yard in Amory. I will see if they have any other yards closer to you. A few weeks ago, 7" X 9" X 8'8" was $21.00 each. They also buy 7X9X9'2", price ???. Not sure if they are buying the longer switch ties. At one time they were buying up to 20'.  I will check further and let you know.

Willie

Willie... thanks, for any help you can come up with...

Quote from: fencerowphil  (Phil L.) on June 24, 2008, 04:59:22 PM
http://www.allenrailroad.com/RailSimple.htm

LOTS OF INFORMATION

Thanks,  fencerowphil

Tony

Sammy I only sell a few ties a year. I don't have a # for them but the next time I'm by there I will see what I can do ::) ::)

Tony    8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Radar67

RALFF

I was unable to find a telephone number for the tie buyer in Amory, MS. Could one of you Mississippi guys give me a number?
   Thanks,
Joe

ljmathias

Can anyone comment on the market for ties here in the South?  Nice to know there is a market, but I'd like to hear about trends over the past few months up to today, if anyone cares to comment.

Also, Radar: you certainly don't look your age!  If you're really 142, I would have said you don't look a day over 120....

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ARKANSAWYER

Prices have not come up on ties here yet but they are begging for all they can get.  My buyer wants more all the time.  Ties have been running about $0.42 bdft and I came onto a contract for 4x8x8' for $0.45 bdft and they can come from any part of the log so long as they are sound.  Get lots of post oak that will make 3 and very little grade wood.  I some times lose some 1C  but make it up by not having to saw the boards.  Things are getting tight.
ARKANSAWYER

wwsjr

The buyer in Amory has only a cell phone. I will try to go by tomorrow, Monday, and get the number. I have a customer that has a lot of storm damage hardwood that would be ideal for ties, need to verify market. The oak ties at the Amory yard must be heart centered, gum, any part of log without wane. If you have 1 or 2 hickory in a bundle of 25, they usually do not reject.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

markct

so how do you treat them, i assume they are still creosote not pressure treated? or do the railroads do this themselves?

Samh200

Thanks everyone for all ya help and info...I will see what i can come up with...

Thank You Sponsors!