iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Simple Recall Service

Started by tcsmpsi, July 26, 2007, 10:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Not long ago, my very significant other petitioned for a new vehicle.  Through the research and development process, it all boiled down to her new ownership of this innovative vehicle:

And it was good, as she has been increasingly pleased (and to mention my own satisfaction that it was a good, safe, dependable and efficient vehicle).  Though I had heard in forums around a scattered tale here and there of one of these just stopping in the middle of everything, she/we had experienced no problems.
Nontheless, the day came that we got a Recall notice to address the possibility of that problem, and I promptly made an appointment at our dealer, who is about 50 mi from us, for 8 am, 07/23.

Being I had to be there anyhow, I deemed it proper to wrangle another free oil change, as well.   This may also be a good time to make note, that when we were dealing for the Nitro, I was diligent in bringing awareness to the salesman that this was pretty much my wife's 'thing', and that I was more or less dormant in the process. More or less.

Got there bright, early and on time.  Went and got me a cup of coffee and commenced to greeting all the folks.  As usual, after that, I took my coffee and went out meandering around the lot. 

I soon realized it was their 25th Anniversary whoopeedoo day, and some of the special prices on vehicles were...impressive.  I asked our Nitro salesman if those were bull scrapple, or if they were serious.  He assured me they were serious, until the end of the day.  Uh huh.

Now, back there on one of those far, back burners in my mind, I had experienced the idea of upgrading my truck to a larger, more powerful model to tow things a bit better.
One day.  Maybe....maybe not. 

When I got back in town, and delivered my wife's vehicle back to her, I made passing mention of the whoopeedoo sale they were having.  She was quite adamant about going back up down there when she got off work.  And, just to be on the safe side, I found the opportunity to do some research in the interim.  Who pays what for what and where and how and etc.

We called the knotheaded teenagers and were informed they would like to go, too.  So, they did.

We all pulled into the dealership a little before 5pm, and went to where the vehicles of interest were corraled.  Certainly, our salesman, who I'll refer to as 'Jim', came out and asked which one.  I picked out 3 possibilities and inquired as to what the bottom line would be on each.  He went back to the number crunching room and came out with a piece of paper plusing and minusing this and that, and I explained, "I ain't having none of that."  So, he went back.  We got it narrowed down to two, after another trip back into the number crunching room. 

Recognizing it was probably time for a bit of a break, I suggested we go back out and take a finer view of the two.  One had more 'stuff', one was more to my liking, but it's all an investment.  Just in case I did decide to trade.
We go back inside, look things over a bit, and I show where this won't work, that won't work and that's just not possible.  Jim goes back to the number crunching room and comes back with yet another plan.  I look that over and shake my head.  No, no, no, that's not what I said.  It was about then, that Jim took off his cap, grabbed a roll of paper towels, tore off some, and began mopping his shaved head, pleading, "Lawd, Mr Carter, you got to help me, now."  Of course, now, there's one old salesman left from when we first began buying vehicles there...and he's leaning back in his chair over at his desk,  having his day made.  Noticeably.   :D

So, we're back at it, one of the fellows comes out from the number crunching room, inquires about the commotion, and asks Mrs Carter which she likes (remembering how it was when we were negotiating the Nitro).  Jim promptly tells hiim that I told him it might be a bit more proactive if I came up down here looking for a new truck. 
Still working on a decision between the two possibilities, we're starting to narrow things down, while we take yet another trip back out to the lot.   As we're walking, my 15 yr old sidles up to me and says, "I'm learning."  Which was purposeful.  Life is always a learning experience. 

We all gather back up inside, with fresh air and new vigor.  I have centered on one vehicle...sort of.  During another round, one more head mopping, and other customers giving a somewhat covert 'thumbs up' as they are all off in the number crunching room again, we are all just having a notably fantastic time.

When Jim came out again, they had gotten the price down on the truck to about right.
But, they still had just not quite understood the value of my truck.  Jim and I are in the midst of discussion on that matter, when the head number cruncher comes to the doorway and explains that they just can't 'officially' give any more allowance for my truck.  However, he would go down to $22,500 on the new truck (which, by the way, had a window sticker price of $31,600).
I agreed.

Waiting for them to get the paperwork ready, Jim and I go stand outside for a little fresh air and winding down.  As we stand there talking a bit, I asked him if he remembered why I had even thought of trading.  He said, "Lawd, Mr Carter, you got me so turned around right now, I ain't sure of much of anything."  I reminded him that the whole thing was so I would have more towing capability.  I then asked what he saw as a primary problem we had with that.  Being able to tell that he was still not quite back in the arena, I explained that the new truck had no receiver hitch.  How could I tow, without a receiver hitch?    ;D

Absolutely refusing to go back to the number cruncher room, and ask for a hitch, he offered to take that out of his pocket.  Which I graciously accepted.   Since it was a little after 7pm by that time, there was no way to get it installed then.  I was to come back, at my convenience, and have my new hitch installed.
Which I did, first thing the next morning. 

And that, my friends, is how ol' tcsmpsi ended up, out of the blue, bringing limitless fun to those at the dealership, ourselves, and driving this:

But, at the cost of relinquishing this:    :(

(   04/2005 pic  )

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

You been taking lessons from Bibbyman? Sheesh, making a salesman eat Kraft dinner while you drive a new truck. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ADAMINMO

That's one sweet lookin truck ya got there.Congrats!!!

Tom

There's nothing quite like the smell of a new vehicle.

I've never gotten the best of a car salesman.  I have left a few of them sitting in their manager's office drinking coffee as they tried to play the "I can't make that decison", game with me.  Glad you won one  :)

thurlow

Congratulations;  sounds like you "won".  Almost nothing on earth I hate worst than dealing with a lying car salesman.  Everyone one knows how to tell if they're lying to you, right?  Watch their lips to see if they're moving.  WWW has helped somewhat with the experience;  at least you can get SOME  idea of what their vehicle.......and yours........is worth.  Best strategy I've found after you kinda get down to brass tacks is to just sit there;  let them talk;  nothing makes most people more uncomfortable than silence...........maybe throw in a "I just don't know" occasionally.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

tcsmpsi

Now, sawguy, I would never leave anyone in a bind.   They'll make a good chunk of change off my 'old' truck, and we all knew it.   ;D  Besides, I don't believe anyone there would have missed the experience of it all.   ;)

Now, ol' Jim came to his own when I came back the next day to get the hitch.  He had not been able to clear that with service before he told me "anytime".  As it happened, service told him there was no way they could possibly get to it until late in the afternoon (that was after "two days minimum" and everyone pleading, etc.).  That was not going to work for me, at all.  So, I told them that if they would just let me have the parts, I would be happy to install them myself.  No problem whatsoever.  

Ahhh...but, that is not the deal that 'Jim' had made.  Wound up, he cashed in a favor from the body shop, and had them install it.  I quite made note of it.  

Why, thanks, Adamino.  I'm slowly starting to get the hang of the gadgets and stuff.   :D

Actually, Tom, I was set to agree before the head number cruncher came out making the final plea.  I was just having one final gig with them.  

And, yep.  The smell is pleasing in a level of its own.    ;D

Unfortunately, the head finance fellow, Jerry, who was our salesman at the time we bought our first couple of vehicles there, was not there this time, due to lymphoma.   They will keep me posted on his well being.  

I didn't have to have the truck, thurlow.  I could have waited til the next year or so.  As I may have mentioned to them a couple of times.    ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tom

Everytime someone deals with a dealer, I think of my old cropduster friend, Harry.  He swapped trucks every two years and had the dealers trained.  When a salesman (usually a new one) tried to dicker with him, he would just turn around and walk out to go to the next dealership in line.  When he walked onto the lot, you could see the old salesmen running to get to him first.

It would go something like this. 

Harry:  "I'll give you $x and my truck for that truck over there".
New salesman:  "I can't do that!  Tell you what I'll  do...."
Harry: "No, I'm too busy", and he would leave with a string of salesmen trying to catch him.

Here's how the dealerships sold the trucks.

Harry:  "I'll give you $x and my truck for that truck over there".
Old Salesman: " Ok, Harry. Park it right over there and come inside and have a coke".

Harry would go inside and pull the dollar bills out of his pocket to pay for it.

I always wished I could do that.

tcsmpsi

Some years ago, just a couple years after I had purchased my very first brand spanking new truck (for a whopping $6,200  :o), my wife's car had gone to using a notable amount of oil.  Enough so that I would not even consider buying oil, other than by the case.

One day, I was needing to purchase another case of oil, and at that particular time, the cash on hand would have made it difficult to do so.  So, we went to a dealership to have us a look see.  Salesman came out, was about to say something and I told him, "We want this car, and that car over there (pointing to the one we came in...with the puddle of oil under it) will have to cover everything, because there just isn't any money, so there's no need to ask.  Hour later, we were spinning off in a new ride and they were cleaning up oil.   I learned quite a bit from that transaction.   :)

flip

Unless the dealer is on a stair step program, has a buch of dealer cash or incentives out the wazoo you can buy a vehicle straight out for about the same price from any dealer (comparing apples to apples).  Some dealers get real desperate and get into the holdback just so they can hit their stair step goals.  Most people would be surprised what a salesman makes off a new unit, usually it's not more than a couple hundred dollars at most.  The dealer is guaranteed a certain $$ that sales 99.9% of the time can't dip into.  Used is where the $$ is and most places go by the wholesale value of a vehicle according to Kelly blue book or NADA guide.  They will show you a certain $$ for your trade (which is usually an insult) and another price for the new unit.  Most of the deal is # shuffling between the new unit and the trade, interest rate and term.  
If you are in the market the thing to do is visit the manufacturer's web site, and see what incentives are out there nationally and regionally.  Your sales guy or gal might not share that with you if you don't ask or already know.  Don't expect to get retail for your trade, they may show you that but you'll be paying more for the new vehicle.  Get armed with info before you go in and don't let the "closer" get you cornered, you may end up walking out with a car you don't want and be burried in a 6 year loan at a huge interest rate. We try to bail people out that other dealers have put the screws to.  Call your bank and see what interest rate you can get before you see the finance office, sometimes the dealer can meet or beat it and you may get $$ back if you use their lenders.  
OK, I spilled my guts, my sales guys will hate me :)
Buying a car should not be a headache, if it is find a new dealer.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

tcsmpsi

I like seeing what the stamina and character of a new (new to me, anyhow) salesperson is.   ;)
I also like a transaction in which both parties are able to accomplish all they are able to accomplish, and satisfied in the knowing they have done so.

We dealt with this salesman the first time on the Nitro, and didn't have the trade vehicle with us.  he was quite perplexed while explaining this to them, and Jerry told him not to worry about it, that whatever we said it was, it would be that and then some.  To go ahead and make the deal, let us take the vehicle and we would bring the trade-in back down there in a day or two, when we could.

flip

Sounds like an easy dealer to work with, glad the transaction went well.  The bad ones give all of us dealers a bad rap.

Onthesauk

I was never that good at dickering with dealers over cars until I worked for a fellow who told me that the best time to buy or sell something is when you didn't need to.  Kind of the same advice the buyers guide tell you, "Don't fall in love with a car."
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thurlow

Quote from: Onthesauk on July 26, 2007, 03:35:06 PM
  "Don't fall in love with a car."

Reminds me of one of my wife's sisters and her husband.................buying their first-ever brand new car.  They're sitting in the salesman's cubicle dancing around the price a little; salesman leaves to go 'check' on something;  wife is expressing some doubts about what they're about to do;  husband says, "I don't care how much it is, we're buying this car."  Unfortunately.........for them...........salesman is coming through the door and hears this;   Can you say, " Gut Hooked"? :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

DanG, tcsmpsi, now I won't know if you are in your office because your truck will not be there ??? ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Yeah, and there wont be any  mud on it for a year or three.  Better get used to driving, Danny. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on July 26, 2007, 08:30:45 PM
DanG, tcsmpsi, now I won't know if you are in your office because your truck will not be there ??? ;).

That's why I thought I might give you a head's up.   ;D  We'll keep a light on for you.

If you'll notice Don, it is more of a mud color.    :D

Qweaver

I recently bought a new Chevy 3/4 ton diesel.  I tried for weeks to find one that I wanted and with the right price in the Houston area and finally gave up and came on back to W.Va. with my GMC van.  To my surprise, I was able to get exactly the truck that I wanted for several thousand less than the best price that I could finagle in Texas and I went to most of the dealers around Houston...including the one that claims to "Clobbers Big City Prices".
The real beauty of this transaction was the ease with which it occurred.  I called the dealership and talked to a salesman.  I told him exactly what I wanted and where and how long I had been truck shopping in Texas. He stated that he had what I wanted on the lot and to come on down and he'd give me a deal that I could not refuse.  He was right and I bought it with no further haggling.  We didn't know it at the time but it turns out I had a cousin that is a salesman at that dealership and when he looked at the price that I paid he assured me that I paid rock bottom and that the salesman really did make very little on the sale.  Well, many of the salesmen in Texas had said the same thing and yet I got the truck for far less in little old Clarksburg, WV, and the salesman still made some money.  I never do a trade-in and I usually have my own financing in place and I guess this helps with price, but I was doing the same thing in Texas.
Exactly the same thing happened when I bought a new Honda  four wheeler and  Kubota TLB 2 years ago.  It was way cheaper here in WV.
It really dosn't make sense.  There is far less competition and sales volume here.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

flip

The big problem with dealers and new car pricing is this.  Everyone pays the same thing for cars, trucks, vans etc ...The difference, which is unfair is that some dealers or market areas have different incentives or dealer cash or stair step than others.  Here's how the stair step works.  A dealer or group of dealers is given an objective, let's say 10 trucks.  The dealer sells 10 trucks and the manufacturer gives them a $500 bonus for each truck.  The next step may be 15, once they sell the 15th they may get $1000 per truck all the way back to the first one, that's $15,000 extra dollars.  The last tier may be 25 trucks and $2000, $50,000 extra dollars to the dealer.  We have gotten beat before by other dealers by up to $3000 on a new vehicle when we were selling at COST to keep a customer here.  The dealer admitted to it and said that was all they needed to meet the last tier, they lost on one deal and hit gold.  Nice huh? 
I still say the auto business has to be the worst in the world.  Long hours, people hate your guts when their stuff breaks down.  We get called liars, thieves, crooks, and every 4 letter word you can imagine.  Only industry where you can be verbally abused and then have to call and ask if they were completely satisfied with their business...GOD I LOVE IT!!!!! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!