iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

Started by SawyerTed, March 26, 2024, 07:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

This morning, the 'tuber Tim B at Sea posted a video that he made on the tug heading for Baltimore he was piloting, not knowing that the were just a short time from this bridge hit. Calling it an "allision" rather than a "collision". This video author talks about maneuvering a barge around with a tugboat, considering the currents, wind, and the tide movement. Goes into a time lapse while moving up river past bridges and heading to Baltimore. Passes container ship at 24:00 and a dredge at 26:00 minutes. Tied up now due to the collapsed bridge from the "allision".

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerTed

Yep, that's one of those terms in the marine industry.  The difference between collision and allision probably has maritime law implications.  

Collision - two moving objects/ships striking each other

Allision - usually when a ship or vessel strikes a stationary object

I have a friend from Ocracoke who is a retired ferry captain who operates tugs on the Chesapeake and points north.  He tells some great tales from his experiences on the ferry and on the tugs.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ianab

Quote from: 21incher on March 27, 2024, 07:48:04 AMI still can't  believe how fast the entire  bridge broke up.
The main truss part of the bridge was supported by 2 concrete piers. One of them was basically snapped off by the "Allision", and the 2 spans directly supported by it simply fell. The forces involved then dislodged the 3rd section on the other side of the shipping channel, so it tipped into the river as well. Wouldn't matter how strong the bridge was, it simply couldn't stand without that support pier. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerTed

It's doubtful that any bridge would have survived intact from the allision by a 95,000 ton ship, regardless of design.  A total collapse may have been averted had the bridge been constructed with smaller spans between pilings.

In 1990 the Bonner Bridge that spanned Oregon Inlet on the NC Outer Banks was struck by a dredge that broke anchor.  IIRC two concrete sections collapsed.  No loss of life occurred.  That bridge was repaired and lived another nearly 30 years before being replaced in 2019.  It was 1950's engineering completed in 1963.  

The Bonner Bridge and the replacement, Basnight Bridge, were built of reinforced concrete both around 2.7 miles long.  Albeit, those bridges do not have the shipping traffic of Baltimore. 

For fans of Wicked Tuna, the boat Reels of Fortune was the one that hit the Bonner Bridge.  Capt Charlie Griffin was one of the captains on the Oregon Inlet episodes.  Reels of Fortune was his boat.  We lost Captain Griffin to a boating accident earlier this month near Oregon Inlet.  Apparently his boat capsized with two men and a dog aboard.  All were lost. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

21incher

Quote from: Ianab on March 27, 2024, 02:56:54 PM
Quote from: 21incher on March 27, 2024, 07:48:04 AMI still can't  believe how fast the entire  bridge broke up.
The main truss part of the bridge was supported by 2 concrete piers. One of them was basically snapped off by the "Allision", and the 2 spans directly supported by it simply fell. The forces involved then dislodged the 3rd section on the other side of the shipping channel, so it tipped into the river as well. Wouldn't matter how strong the bridge was, it simply couldn't stand without that support pier.
Sure seems like a very poor engineering job for a single pier hit to destroy the entire bridge that could have had hundreds of cars on it at rush hour. Hopefully we learn from this catastrophe. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jim_Rogers

I saw someone say that in the future they may change the rules to keep the tugs with the ships until they go past the bridge(s). so that this may not happen again.
And another said that many new bridges have other "bummers" built at the piers so that a big ship can't hit them. This one did not have those bummers (or whatever they are called.)

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Yeah as I read there was a harbor pilot in control and apparently a second in training as well as the captain. The tugs had left but rushed back when they heard the Mayday but did not get there in time to prevent the accident. The Mayday was sent when the ship lost power and had no steerage and drifted into the bridge. The ship dropped the anchor but was not enough to stop it that quick. The police stopped all cars on both ends of the bridge which no doubt saved many lives plus there was little traffic that time of morning. 

I think there were 8 construction workers fixing potholes on the bridge. Apparently foreign nationals from Central and South America. Evidently the police did not know about them. Sounds like 2 of them were rescued but there are still 6 they are looking for the last I read/heard.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I am sure they could design something shaped like a canoe, so it diverts the force rather than allow impact.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on March 27, 2024, 09:05:17 PMI am sure they could design something shaped like a canoe, so it diverts the force rather than allow impact.
Someone's back of an envelope figuring estimated it would take about 30ft of concrete and earth to stop a ship like that. So not impossible, but adding that sort of buffer to an existing bridge could be problem, if you make the channel 60 ft narrower. With a new bridge it's possible to design more protection, and a greater span for the shipping channel.

The Sunshine Skyway in Florida was knocked down by a ship in 1980(?). It's since been rebuilt, with much larger "Islands" around the base of the towers, AND more space for ships to pass under.

This is an image from Wikipedia,  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Skyway_Bridge_3.jpg
Image can be copied as long as you give them credit (details in the link)

Skyway_Bridge_3.jpg

But compare the protection around the piers of the new bridge, compared to the old one that's being removed in this shot. The shipping channel is both larger, and better protected with the newer design. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

This same ship was in a collision in 2016 in Belgium and sustained damage. It was good weather and the Master and pilot on board were blamed for the error.  The container ship Dali was detained and docked to Deurganckdok, Antwerp, where it was repaired and fully inspected before being released to return in operations.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/26/baltimore-bridge-ship-previous-collision-antwerp-2016

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/6675-VIDEO-Mega-container-ship-Dali-Allided-with-berth-at-Port-of-Antwerp
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

The F S Key bridge had those little concrete "islands" called dolphins protecting the supports. Apparently they were ineffective, improperly placed or there were not enough of them.

There were at least 3 on each side of the channel.  

The new Sunshine Skyway bridge does have way more dolphins protecting it than the F S Key bridge. 

Resonator

Looking at photos of the scene the ship had already passed at least one of the barriers, and is seen along side the wreck. A structural engineer on the news said there is no "economical" bridge structure that could withstand the impact of that ship. Time will tell when they rebuild it what improvements are made. Also noted when the bridge was built in the 1970's the ships were a fraction of the size of the mega freighters they run now.

Back in 2007 there was a major bridge collapse on I 35 Minneapolis were 13 died. Within a few days of that accident, bridges all across the country were inspected, some were immediately closed and new construction was given priority. If any good comes out of this incident, it may lead to safer bridges too.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Raider Bill

Quote from: Ianab on March 27, 2024, 09:35:27 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on March 27, 2024, 09:05:17 PMI am sure they could design something shaped like a canoe, so it diverts the force rather than allow impact.
Someone's back of an envelope figuring estimated it would take about 30ft of concrete and earth to stop a ship like that. So not impossible, but adding that sort of buffer to an existing bridge could be problem, if you make the channel 60 ft narrower. With a new bridge it's possible to design more protection, and a greater span for the shipping channel.

The Sunshine Skyway in Florida was knocked down by a ship in 1980(?). It's since been rebuilt, with much larger "Islands" around the base of the towers, AND more space for ships to pass under.

This is an image from Wikipedia,  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Skyway_Bridge_3.jpg
Image can be copied as long as you give them credit (details in the link)

Skyway_Bridge_3.jpg

But compare the protection around the piers of the new bridge, compared to the old one that's being removed in this shot. The shipping channel is both larger, and better protected with the newer design.
I ride over the Skyway bridge all the time. Last Sunday as a matter of fact. Beautiful bridge.
Local news is talking about what if and is there enough barriers around it as it stands now.

Big problem with it is it's too short limiting the size ship that fit's under it.
The bigger container and cruise ships can't get into Tampa Bay.

Supposed to be the highest concentration of sharks on the west coast. We did a recovery under it many years ago and you could feel the big fish swimming close by. Heebee jeebees man!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

My daughter just flew out of Pennsylvania after a business trip and said truck traffic on that part of the coast was and predicted to be a mess till the bridge reopens and container ships can reenter.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gspren

I would think that they could get the shipping lane clear and the docks/harbor open this year but the bridge will take multiple years. There are 2 tunnels not too far from there but they won't be able to handle the volume plus no hazardous or flamable liguids are allowed to be trucked through the tunnels, that includes gas, propane, diesel, etc. They did recover 2 of the bodies that were found in a truck about 20' down, they have now suspended the search for the others as it's too dangerous.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ianab

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 28, 2024, 12:36:39 PMMy daughter just flew out of Pennsylvania after a business trip and said truck traffic on that part of the coast was and predicted to be a mess till the bridge reopens and container ships can reenter.
Yeah, all the freight that's currently on ships in the harbour, or waiting to be loaded will have to be moved to another port, and freight scheduled to come in and out of the port will have to be re-routed. Add all that to the disruption of normal traffic due to the bridge being out.  :uhoh:  

I suspect the various freight companies involved aren't getting Easter off. 

Getting the harbour clear will take months as they probably have to unload some of the containers on the ship, without the benefit of the big dockside cargo cranes.  As well as clearing the bridge debris

rusticretreater

Quote from: Resonator on March 28, 2024, 10:05:02 AMBack in 2007 there was a major bridge collapse on I 35 Minneapolis were 13 died. Within a few days of that accident, bridges all across the country were inspected, some were immediately closed and new construction was given priority. If any good comes out of this incident, it may lead to safer bridges too.
We had two bridges of the same design nearby, one for each direction of traffic over the Shenandoah River.  Virginia takes care of its bridges, but they immediately re-inspected them. It was the big news in the paper for a few days.  Both bridges have since been replaced.  I miss the old trestle bridges, but their time is done.

The investigation, removal of the bridge remnants, hazardous materials on board and in the water, documentation of the deaths and any gravesites, legal wrangling.  Its gonna be awhile.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SawyerTed

Anybody familiar with the bridges over the Ohio River and Mississippi River near Cairo,  IL?  They are near Fort Defiance.

Talk about bridges that will make you draw up a bit!  They are steel truss bridges, I think the Roman's built them. I've crossed them a few times.  They feed my irrational fear of bridge collapse.  

Last time over them the rivers were near historic low levels so the bridges seemed higher.  That stupid little bridge on the Kentucky side before the Ohio River bridge isn't exactly confidence inspiring!

beenthere

Another video with shipping lane info and more specific about why tugs were not attached.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 28, 2024, 11:08:37 AMBig problem with it is it's too short limiting the size ship that fit's under it.
The bigger container and cruise ships can't get into Tampa Bay.
One might suggest that's actually a plus? If over size can't traverse the channel, then there is no risk of one going off course. 

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 28, 2024, 04:59:22 PMTalk about bridges that will make you draw up a bit!  They are steel truss bridges, I think the Roman's built them. I've crossed them a few times.  They feed my irrational fear of bridge collapse.  

It seems that a lot of bridges around the USA, and other countries too, are getting old and possibly past their "use by" dates. Regular maintenance can of course keep them structurally sound, but that costs $$. NZ largest bridge would be the one over Auckland Harbour. It was built in the 50s, so maintenance and inspection on that is pretty much continuous, when the crew get right across the bridge with the inspection / repair / repaint, it's time to start all over again.  

Don P

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 28, 2024, 04:59:22 PMLast time over them the rivers were near historic low levels so the bridges seemed higher.  That stupid little bridge on the Kentucky side before the Ohio River bridge isn't exactly confidence inspiring!
I've been parked in several miles of cars while they pulled a truck and mobile home back off that bridge... what was he thinking. We were all standing around and visiting when a cop came back. We asked if the driver got a ticket "Oh he's got a pocketful  ffcheesy"

There is a lot to be said for simple spans if they can be done at that span economically, at least one would have probably survived.

Riwaka

The Tasman Bridge (partial collapse) near downtown Hobart, Australia was hit by a zinc carrying ship in 1975, in a similar manner to the the Baltimore incident.

The cars stopping with the front 2 wheels over the deck where the bridge should have been stays in the memory. 
Story in recent years using 3d scanning of wreck and repaired bridge
https://youtu.be/WLLwCEIlDBk?si=z__M_LKhAxfABxgk

The historic old (road and rail)bridge further up river at Bridgewater(near Hobart( is being replaced by a new bridge.(expensive due to variable  soil material under the river requiring very deep piles in places.

rusticretreater

In watching those videos of the ship, you see the traffic passing over the bridge just before it falls.  So you come off the bridge and you see all the flashing lights and police blocking the other direction lanes of the bridge and you hear/feel the bridge behind you fall.  Yikes.

I would kinda miss a week of my life just wandering around in a daze.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

There is a very good likelihood that the ship owner and insurance company will only be liable for up to a "couple of tens of millions of $$" worth of damage from this.  Something about the "Titanic law" that greatly limits shipping liability.  

Now you go and hit a highway bridge with your truck and see how far that sort of defense will get you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

Another little fact about the Sunshine Skyway bridge over Tampa Bay.

In 87 when they were going to officially open it a 70ft shrimper boat hit it I think 2 days before the ceremony.

Around here that was a big deal as all the news were saying another ship hit the bridge.
They postponed the dedication awhile but there was no damage.

There is plenty of width for the bigger ships but not enough height.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!